Lincoln Aviator concept NYIAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But your statement about GM turning out garbage is not entirely true. Yes during the 80's they had a run of economy boxes that I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy,.... but at the same time GM always made excellent trucks, SUV's, Caddy's>

In the 70'S and 80's I had V8 Caprices,Impalas,Oldsmoble 98 and Caddy's..All were trouble free and easily made it to 150K miles..The a/c in them would have cooled off a 7 room house..Most of my vehicles were regularly serviced at the dealer as dealer service was good back then..My Caddy dealer [Potamkin Caddilac] had the best dealer service..I had a 90 minute commute each way to work plus took tons of trips from NYC to Miami as I do not fly..They seriously ran flawlessly.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that assumption would be correct,... Im 58 yrs old and have owned numerous vehicles in all makes and models, so many I couldnt begin to count or remember them all, bought and sold vehicles my entire life and in just about every case made money on each one by fixing them up...... my favorites have always been GM. But your statement about GM turning out garbage is not entirely true. Yes during the 80's they had a run of economy boxes that I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy,.... but at the same time GM always made excellent trucks, SUV's, Caddy's, ect.... Talking full size truck,...Ford with there I-Beam front ends were garbage,...Dodge made work horses but the ride was always crude and unrefined....fast forward to present day and they all are much more refined. Full size truck have made an amazing comeback that also reflects in the current pricing....although living in the Northeast youd be hell bent to find a newer Dodge (Ram) without rusted through fenders,... and ford has been plagued with mechanical issues....so still prefer GM.

Totally fair.

Yeah, even their really bad years their trucks didn’t have many competitors frankly.

Last edited by a moderator:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the 70'S and 80's I had V8 Caprices,Impalas,Oldsmoble 98 and Caddy's..All were trouble free and easily made it to 150K miles..The a/c in them would have cooled off a 7 room house..Most of my vehicles were regularly serviced at the dealer as dealer service was good back then..My Caddy dealer [Potamkin Caddilac] had the best dealer service..I had a 90 minute commute each way to work plus took tons of trips from NYC to Miami as I do not fly..They seriously ran flawlessly.

Trouble free, 70’s/80’s and GM don’t generally go together but I’m glad you had such a good (and unique) experience. If I was forced to drive up and down the east coast and couldn’t afford an s class MB, I can totally imagine settling for giant 80’s GM!! Seriously.

My experience with GM in the 80’s was materially worse than my experience with Audi, VW, Chrysler and Toyota in the 80’s.

I’m glad I got to experience all of them though.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These days the gap between the higher rated quality vehicles and the lower rated ones has gotten very narrow, when compared to the 80’s. All vehicles have improved so much.

However, even Consumer Reports warns that buying a first model year of a total redesign is risky (in any quality level), then each year afterward gets better. But the interesting thing is they also say that people who buy the first model year are happier than people who buy subsequent years (during their first year of ownership only- not the life of ownership). They said this is due to the newness and novelty of owning the first year of a redesign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cleaned up this thread. No More GM bashing here. This thread is headed to a complete delete if it keeps up and warnings will be going out. It has been going on for quite awhile on this forum and it comes to a stop now.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's gorgeous. To the extent that this is an Explorer, I wonder whether it's built on the existing platform or the next.

The current Explorer has a horrible intrusion of the wheel well that really gets in the way of the driver's left foot. Every time I drive one, I have to move my foot into an unnatural place (for me). It seems like a small thing, but it's really a showstopper in practicality.

Other than that, the Explorer really is an excellent vehicle probably compromised by some poor interior materials choices. This vehicle might be a very interesting upgrade.

OP
OP
LI Tahoe

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's gorgeous. To the extent that this is an Explorer, I wonder whether it's built on the existing platform or the next.

The current Explorer has a horrible intrusion of the wheel well that really gets in the way of the driver's left foot. Every time I drive one, I have to move my foot into an unnatural place (for me). It seems like a small thing, but it's really a showstopper in practicality.

Other than that, the Explorer really is an excellent vehicle probably compromised by some poor interior materials choices. This vehicle might be a very interesting upgrade.

Both the 2019 Explorer and Aviator are built on an All new Rear Wheel Drive platform

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the explorer goes to RWD I’d be inclined to get one.
The current one sits on the Taurus platform; it really is a Taurus in another form factor. Which, considering that Ford sold about a dozen Tauruses of that generation, is a very fortunate way for them to have amortized the development cost of that platform.

Certainly, moving it to a more trucklike RWD platform would probably make it capable.

I do like the Sport model though; great engine and a decent suspension. I nearly bought one, but I counted about ten of them in my neighborhood.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues