Lighting Write up Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Alright I guys I decide to start a technical thread on lighting mods to help the members on here with a lot of questions I am going to complete within the next two weeks, they consist of;
1. HID install step by step for the low beam headlights.
2. LED combo install for the rear taillights and 3rd brake lights, with halogen bulb reverse lights and LED license plate lights!
Anybody who has any questions just post it here and I will be happy to answer it for you’ll. The mods that say coming soon will also be posted in this same thread soon.
And last of all these mods took/will take a lot of time and money to complete for me, so if you want to say something irrelevant to this thread just take it to the Off-Topic part of this forum. Thanks!
1. HID install step by step for the low beam headlights.
First your gonna have to get the push pins and two bolts out of the inner wheel liner
GEDC0386.gif
GEDC0387.gif
Then you will take out the 3rd bolt holding the headlight in, this is the bolt that always gives people issues when removing it because they don’t know its there.
GEDC0388.gif
Then you will remove the front fascia bumper brackets which are held in with two bolts.
GEDC0391.gif
GEDC0407.gif
GEDC0406.gif
GEDC0389.gif
Remove the six bolts holding down the fascia on top of the grille, there are two on each outer end and like 4 in between those.
GEDC0394.gif
Remove the two bolts holding down the headlight from the top-front completing the other 2/3 of the existing headlight bolts.
GEDC0395.gif
Back of my headlight assembly. Take note of the disconnected Assembly voltage supply connector which gives power to all the bulbs in the headlight. You HAVE to disconnect this just to make sure you don’t short anything or shock yourself, and plus atleast you won’t have to disconnect the battery and lose your vehicle settings!
GEDC0400.gif

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

Headlight removed on the left hand side. To get it out on both sides all you have to do is disconnect the clip holding each light from the rear and put some gentle persuasion into pulling the sides closer to the grille towards you, watching out for the clips holding and sealing the light from scraping the fascia beside the grille and part of the fascia that is taped up. After the corner of the light comes out with the two guiding clips behind the orange sidemarker, then use the extending part of the fender as a turning axis and pull it towards you and bam its out, sorry I forgot to get detailed pics of this part.
GEDC0392.gif
GEDC0396.gif
Apexcone Slim-Ballast HID kit. Any HID brand will work, slim or not, but slim may make it a bit sleeker of an install!
GEDC0397.gif
Apexcone slim ballast and igniter in the box with High voltage connectors.
GEDC0399.gif
Apexcone HID bulb (6000k) with High voltage connectors to attach to the ballast/igniter output.
GEDC0398.gif
Igniter showing a bit after the headlight is installed and sealed up.
GEDC0410.gif
Ballast installed with 3M double sided tape and all connected up. It goes like this, connect the ballast input connector to the headlight low beam H11 output connector (you may have to reverse this plug later to get the bulb to light up properly so don’t seal up everything). Then connect high voltage connectors from the igniter to the high voltage input of the bulb. And then when you’re done remove the protective cover of the bulb and put it straight into the headlight without EVER touching the bulb with your fingers or on any surface to prevent future bulb damage.
GEDC0393.gif
The ballast installed with 3M double sided tape on the inner part of the metal beam beside the headlight. As you can see there is a material covering it form sight after install. That is the sleekest place to put the ballast because after it is put there you will not be able to see it anymore.
GEDC0401.gif
GEDC0402.gif
LH Headlight back in. Just do everything in reverse and get those lights back in and put every removed bolt back on from ALL the removed places!
Do you see the ballast or any wires?
GEDC0408.gif

OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Again the install is done in the following two pics, can’t even see the wires for the kit and they don’t impede or block anything. Sleek install, no proof of aftermarket or unprofessional amateur wiring!
GEDC0409.gif
GEDC0411.gif
Left hand light and both headlights after the HID’s installed. Bright as hell and look very good with just very minimal blue, puts blue dyed bulbs like Luminics and Nokya to shame!
GEDC0404.gif
GEDC0405.gif
Beam patters and brightness in the remaining pics, very little glare and a pretty descent beam for non projector housings!
GEDC0418.gif
GEDC0419.gif
GEDC0420-1.gif
GEDC0421-1.gif
GEDC0422-1.gif
GEDC0423-1.gif

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good write up, I have been thinking about HID's now i have silverstar ultras and the 4 HI mod is extremely bright so no need just yet trying to get 4 TV's installed before Roadtrip in july

revbuilder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the info, i have been wanting to do this to my new tahoe, i did read somwhere that you want to turn off the option of the lights coming on when you use the keyless remote to unlock, do you know anything about this?

Scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do anything with the front amber turn signal/running lamp? I can't tell because it is turned on in all the pictures.

Anyway I recommend that all members repace their front singal with a chrome covered amber bulb. This eliminates the amber reflection from the stock bulb in the housing.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah Revbuilder I did turn off the "Approach lighting" feature but the automatic function and "exit lighting" is still on, just doesn't come on with lows/drl until the car is started.
Yeah Scotto I though about doing that chrome/amber bulb mod but I had history with painted bulbs and don't feel like seeing that BS happen again.

OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
For those who wanted third brake light directions:

I finally got around to uploading them, real simple to follow but post up if you get confused!

Attachments

• Image (2).jpg
    Image (2).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 501
  • Image (3).jpg
    Image (3).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 333

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question... How come you only did the low beams?

OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Good qustion:
I did only lows for a number of reasons, three being; I like the blue tint my Luminics in the highs give my HL, I don;t use the high beams much at all, and three, I like to be able to use the flash function at night and that would make the HB HIDs fail quick due to quick start/stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts