Light Sensor\Automatic Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue and I as well believe it's a safety concern since you're distracted while trying to adjust the dimmer knob and/or brightness adjustment on the radio.

I noticed the ambient light sensor is in a tinted dome. Maybe the plastic fades/hazes like headlights do over time and the sensor thinks it's darker than it actually is? I never thought about it before, but maybe we just have dirty sensor domes and/or dirty windshields? I'll try cleaning mine. If that makes no difference, I'll see if I can get a clear dome for it. Maybe I can use one of those small plastic acorn capsules that those junk toys come in from those dispenser machines. If that works "too" well, maybe dust it with some Nightshades paint.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine comes on constantly under the overpasses..It does not come on most of the time on nasty foggy days..When it does come on...on those foggy days it goes off too early..Glad they still have the manual mode..All that going on and off is going to blow the bulbs out prematurely..My sister has same issue in her Expedition.

Scooty

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 08 Tahoe. Sometimes the headlights stayed on all day and never went to dlr's. Things that don't work right drive me nuts. I went to the dealer and bought new ambient light sensor and installed it ( about $45-$50 if I remember). Problem solved. Headlights come on in garage at startuo but when I back out into the sunlight they now go off in less than 30 seconds.

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have this issue... but mainly cause I live in the NW and we don't get much sunlight so the clouds keep the lights on at all times :) I leave my house in the AM and keep my park lights on..... guess I have never been a fan of the Auto. Would rather have that control in my own hands instead of trusting sensors that could be affected by dirty windshield or a perfectly placed bug splat.

khiroshima

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I noticed this too - supercharedC6, what kind of V1 mount are you using (sorry for the thread hijack)? KH

Reaction score

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dome on my 99 burb was really dark, my 09 Tahoe is almost clear. I can see the sensor inside it. I have no issues with mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts