Light Sensor\Automatic Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoCardz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust how sensitive the Light Sensor on our dash is? I ask because it seems like at the slightest hint of darkness (passing under an overpass in the morning) is enough to trigger the headlights to come on, but it takes quite a lot of direct light for the lights to turn back off again, especially coming out of the garage in the morning. I'd like to find a way to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor so the lights don't kick on so quickly.

khiroshima

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems everyone has this issue, I searched to see if anyone was able to fix this as well . . . In Los Gatos, GMCs are EVERYWHERE, so I have been keeping an eye out to see if other Yukons have "excessive" headlight use . . . They do :) I feel your pain and would also be interested in lower sensitivity, though I don't think there is anything you can do about your garage, KH

OP
OP
G

GoCardz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems everyone has this issue, I searched to see if anyone was able to fix this as well . . . In Los Gatos, GMCs are EVERYWHERE, so I have been keeping an eye out to see if other Yukons have "excessive" headlight use . . . They do :) I feel your pain and would also be interested in lower sensitivity, though I don't think there is anything you can do about your garage, KH

I searched the net a bit too and this does seem to be a common complaint among GMC owners. I was hoping someone had a "hack" to change the sensitivity. Maybe I'll keep a flashlight in the car and shine in on the sensor when it's acting up. I just hate those HID bulbs fire up and turn off so frequently. I would honestly prefer to turn the lights on manually, but if I turn them off then the LED DRLs don't seem stay on (admittedly I haven't really played with the manual settings much).

TxEngr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I too am interested and following this topic. Annoyed by this issue on my 2016 LTZ Tahoe, but had the same issue on my prior 2007. As mentioned, I experience it when passing under overpasses in the morning, but also in the evening when the sun is low to the horizon and casting shadows. I've even turned my iPhone light on and set it on top of the sensor to get the instrument panel lights to return to bright daylight setting. I deem this a safety problem since it becomes difficult to read the instruments, especially when wearing sunglasses against the rising/setting sun. I've never inquired, but it is amazing to me that this is not a programmable setting.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and they replaced my sensor under warranty. Its still pretty sensitive, but way better than it was. If you are just worried about the lights being on and want your DRLs to stay on, just turn the headlight knob one notch to just run your parking lights. The LED's are dimmer but they will still be on. Unfortunately the interior lights will stay in the night mode.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But they do go off after a few minutes...
If is sunny outside and you enter a garage or similar they come on and after you come out they will turn off with in a few seconds.
Just don't think about it...

Reaction score
That's not always the case. I just had to drive to my office and my lights stayed on the whole time. Its 4:24 pm clear and sunny but because the sun was behind me my lights stayed on. I could barely see my dash. I did the phone flash light trick and that turned them on. I'll also note that I was parked in the garage. 926a75a1087e166cd811bd2c88c04234.jpg

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, not always the case. I've had the lights come one while sitting under a freeway overpass waiting to make the turn on to the freeway. The lights took over 35 minutes to turn off while I was driving parallel to the setting sun and it was still plenty bright enough to have the dashlights and nav screen be dim like the picture above. It was annoying as hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins