Liftgate Latch, Motor or Module? How to know which?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks:

I have another thread where I asked for general help diagnosing my lifgate issues. I thought I'd reach out in a different thread to see if anyone can help me--and possibly others--with the process to properly diagnose the issue.

From what I can tell, we have 3 major components in automatic liftgate operation: Motor, Module and Latch. Many have said that if the liftgate wont run, replace the latch. Some others simply say its the module. I seriously wonder if its just the motor.

The clear issue is there doesn't appear to be a way to diagnose the issue rather than just replace and hope, one at a time. I hope to be told otherwise.

In my case, the latch locks and unlocks electronically. You can hear the buzz when you push the lock button inside, the remote or at the door handle. I've also replaced the latch itself and still only lights blink, lock unlocks and no motor.

My frustration is the unknown in how to diagnose; I hate to order all 3 parts and the HOPE I can return those I don't use--if I ever get this fixed.

The question is whether anyone knows of the correct diagnosis procedure to find the issue here. And NO, the switch is not the cause; that was checked first and it does operate the latch and lights flash when I attempt to open from the inside at the drivers seat.

Thanks.

TKH.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could the module, but try testing the motor first somehow just to be sure. Also check if the latch on the glass is secure and functional. If the glass is open, the auto liftgate won't open, and would react like you described, just blink the lights and nothing happens.

OP
OP
M

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could the module, but try testing the motor first somehow just to be sure. Also check if the latch on the glass is secure and functional. If the glass is open, the auto liftgate won't open, and would react like you described, just blink the lights and nothing happens.

Interesting. Never thought about the glass. I will have to check that. I wonder if I totally over looked that when I replaced the latch last time.

fishingwizard

Reaction score
I can hear the motor running and the latch sometimes will release and sometimes it won't. I did replace the gas struts for the glass and gate itself. Where is the module located...?

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you haven't fixed this yet, the power liftgate module sits on top of the liftgate motor, behind the left panel in the cargo area.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this is an OLD thread I wanted to bring to a close to possibly help someone. I bought a replacement motor, modulator and door lock. All from Amazon so I could return easily.

Tore apart the interior back end, as needed, to access each. I replaced each, one at a time to see what might fix, so I can replace the non-used items. NO LUCK. None or all would fix the issue.

Put it all back and operated the lock manually as the lock was still locking......

Fast forward 18 months and the lock no longer operated; couldn't open the end door. WOW.

I decided to try replacing the lock and only the lock--with OEM part.

KABOOM!

Fixed. Not only does it lock and unlock, it opens and closes remotely and with the door button, interior button or remote. I'm thrilled. I suppose the non OEM door lock I was trying 18 months ago was faulty. WOW. So I'm out $220 bucks an 20 min of sweat equity and now have a working lift gate.

TKH

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this is an OLD thread I wanted to bring to a close to possibly help someone. I bought a replacement motor, modulator and door lock. All from Amazon so I could return easily.

Tore apart the interior back end, as needed, to access each. I replaced each, one at a time to see what might fix, so I can replace the non-used items. NO LUCK. None or all would fix the issue.

Put it all back and operated the lock manually as the lock was still locking......

Fast forward 18 months and the lock no longer operated; couldn't open the end door. WOW.

I decided to try replacing the lock and only the lock--with OEM part.

KABOOM!

Fixed. Not only does it lock and unlock, it opens and closes remotely and with the door button, interior button or remote. I'm thrilled. I suppose the non OEM door lock I was trying 18 months ago was faulty. WOW. So I'm out $220 bucks an 20 min of sweat equity and now have a working lift gate.

TKH

Mine just stopped today, would you have the part numbers for any/all the parts you used. So i can start the fun of figuring out which one isnt working haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish