Lift or level kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetfumes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excellent, I will be lifting the front with new keys back end it already. Did you do the same with the rear end using the bumpers?

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photo of how I shimmed my jounce bumpers with leveling keys.
I have 8" between the top of the tire and wheelwell (265/75/16's)..with plenty of adjustment left in the keys.

View attachment 62792
I'm enlightened. I also thought those were bump stops and did not realize they needed to stay in contact. What's the negative of them not being in contact?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally found more sway/lean until the jounce bumpers made contact.
Before I installed the lifted keys the original bumpers were more or less gone.I went threw two sets of moog end links before I figured out I was missing part of the suspension (bumpers).
The end links were trying to deal with the added sway due to the bumpers not making contact...

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
The jounce stops should not be constant touching on flat ground but close to LCA. They definitely are supposed to contact under braking which is why the front feels so terrible after lift keys cause the nose dive doesn't get any help unless jounce stops are extended. Then the front end is back to normal just lifted some. Look up a couple suspension pics from lift kits and you will see a small gap or take a look at a factory height 1500 for reference. Set the gap to match stock height on lift keys.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the knowledge about the jounce gap. Ordered the 1" tall flat head bump stops to install on the lower arms.

Jetfumes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you use the same bumper in the front on the rear? Or any ideas on the rear jounce bumper?

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rears are quite a bit beefier than the stops in front even with the Z71 package. You could install blocks similar to the height of your rear coil spacers to bring close to the stock position.

MA_hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a mid sized pickup that is modded 2.5" over, longer coilovers in the front, taller leaf pack/shocks in the rear, and glass all around; so, suspension mods are not new to me.

But I'm new here and new to this vehicle. I've tried to read what I can but still have a couple of questions.

I have 2003 Tahoe Z71 4wd

Bought the truck to tow my small 18 foot travel trailer. Wife is over me spending money on expensive modifications but she agrees that the tires seem small for the truck. Therefore, I want to lift the truck a little to fit 275/70/17 BFG AT KO2. On to the questions.

Do Z71s have a bigger front to back (or back to front) rake than non-Z71?

If so, will adding keys in the front of my Z71 and not doing anything in the rear achieve the same result as a non-Z71 with keys and Z71 springs in the rear?

If the rake is bigger, then are there keys out there that will give a full 3" in the front then I can still go with short spacers in the rear to eek out just a bit more height?

Lastly, are there longer bumps available, from timbren perhaps, or have most people gone with the additional pad on the LCA to close the gap caused by cranking the torsion bar?

Thanks in advance and appreciate the education on this truck.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The rake is the same. You can go with a full 3 up front and 2.75" in the rear to keep level and clear those wheels easy provided the stock backspacing. The bump stops from timbren will be expensive and no better. Get the energy ones for cost on eBay and mint them to the lower. Your cv's will struggle in the front with the full 3" so plan to do something to prevent the rapid boot tear and horrible angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts