Lifetime Fuel Economy - 6.2 liter engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laqualo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Power-wise and driveability between the 5.3 and 6.2 is night and day. Not sure if the trans has a lot to do wuth it too or not. But the 5.3 is a turd in comparison, especially in the burb/XL. Not to mention, the 6.2 is more fuel efficient.

As far as premium fuel goes, my wife has almost 40k miles on her denali now. Its never had a drop of anything except regular gas. Never spark knocks and always hovering somewhere around 20 mpg’s for our type of travels.
im looking into a 2018 tahoe and stu ck on 5.3 or 6.2 . I m coming out of a SRT Jeep and sick of paying for premium fuel and have heard mixed things if the 6.2 needs premiem .

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking into a 2018 tahoe and stu ck on 5.3 or 6.2 . I m coming out of a SRT Jeep and sick of paying for premium fuel and have heard mixed things if the 6.2 needs premiem .

Well, like I was saying, we purchased her Denali brand new. It has never had a drop of anything but 87 in it. She is over 40K miles now, and I have yet to ever here a ping or a pong or anything from the motor. Drives great. Has all the power we could ever need. And consistently gets 19+ MPG. The lifetime average MPG's for the vehicle was over 19.1 last time I checked.

Maybe it will blow up tomorrow?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 6.2 6speed..... 11.3 on the dlc :Big Laugh:

Kinda surprised it's that high honestly, cam/stall/no afm, a lot of e85, and usually cruise 80-90mph on highway.

6.2 will run fine on regular, it'll just stay in the low octane tables. When you "want" that extra power it won't be as powerful

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, like I was saying, we purchased her Denali brand new. It has never had a drop of anything but 87 in it. She is over 40K miles now, and I have yet to ever here a ping or a pong or anything from the motor. Drives great. Has all the power we could ever need. And consistently gets 19+ MPG. The lifetime average MPG's for the vehicle was over 19.1 last time I checked.

Maybe it will blow up tomorrow?

It won’t hurt the engine. Throwing 87 in it just detunes it and you’re getting less power from the engine.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is there any advantage the 5.3 has over the 5.2 ?

I have no idea how much torque and HP you lose by using cheap gas but I’m sure it doesn’t bring the 6.2 to the 5.3 level. Somewhere in between I’d imagine.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yes. Even if it is "de-tuned". Still way more power. But, maybe even better than more power, would be the 10 speed trans that comes with it.
Sweet 6.2 plus 10 speed is a very fast and good combination .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep