Leveled and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OCyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Yukon with max tow package and it is leveked with a bell tech rear kit from NorCal SS. I just bought a 24 ft travel trailer that weighs 5600 lbs empty. It doesn't tow that great going down the freeway. Should I remove the lowering kit or will the helper bags make a big difference?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helper bags are definitely they way to go! I'm about ready to add them to my 2006 just because I tow a lot and have a bunch of weight in the back all the time. Helps take some of the pressure off your rear suspension.

OP
OP
OCyukon

OCyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Helper bags are definitely they way to go! I'm about ready to add them to my 2006 just because I tow a lot and have a bunch of weight in the back all the time. Helps take some of the pressure off your rear suspension.
Can you add them to a Yukon that already has air suspension?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you add them to a Yukon that already has air suspension?
Are you referring to you the yukon in your pic? The newest generation top end package yukons(denali like your pic) are equipped with what gm calls their magnetic ride control suspension. It's no longer an air setup. If you have rear coil springs than you can add the helper bags.

OP
OP
OCyukon

OCyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a slt with rear air shocks and coil springs. Trailer is 5600 lbs empty. I don't know what it weighs full because I just got it. Do the helper bags make a big difference? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a slt with rear air shocks and cool springs. Trailer is 5600 lbs empty. I don't know what it weighs full because I just got it. Do the helper bags make a big difference? Thanks for the help.
Oh ok gotcha. Yeah you can add bags to the rear coils. They will make a difference, and like mentioned above, you should be using a weight distribution hitch as well.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To piggyback of PWMac, if you're not using a WDH with sway bar no matter what you do your tow will be brutal. I just towed a 6400 lb travel trailer 7 hours this weekend and didn't even feel it back there. With all the gear I'd say it's probably close to 7k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a slt with rear air shocks and cool springs. Trailer is 5600 lbs empty. I don't know what it weighs full because I just got it. Do the helper bags make a big difference? Thanks for the help.

In general, yes, the air bags in the springs help.

Have you calculated what your maximum gross combined weight might be?