Level on 17's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score
I see a lot of the levels and lifts here are riding on 20 inch rims. My Tahoe is in need of tires and I figured now is the time to add a CCM level and get bigger tires but keep my stock 17 inch rims since I'm on a tight budget. Plus I've read that 17 inch wheel tires have a bit more sidewall and living in New Jersey and its potholes it might be worthwhile.

Looking for ideas on the biggest tire I can put on with the level and with minimal to no trimming. Would the aspects of tire size be similar to the 20 inch wheel sizes? I've read a lot on past posts on tire sizes in regards to 20 inch wheels. Would it be the same in figuring it out?

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not run a 17, but a 285/70/17 or 295/70/17 would look good. Cousin ran 285/70/17 on his leveled NNBS and it looked pretty good with no rubbing

OP
OP
Fir_Na_Tine

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score
Mine came with 265/70/17. So I am still debating whether to wait till I have extra cash for 20 inch rims but then again I don't want to waste money on tires now then have to buy new again later.

Is there any major advantage/disadvantage in 17 or 20 inch wheel sizes?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im leveled with Rough Country 2” level only on 17’s 285/70.... no rub ‘13 tahoe... so ccm 2.5/1 you could prob get away with 295/70/17’s

OP
OP
Fir_Na_Tine

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply and I want to thank everyone for their replies.

I'm finally at the point of where I can now purchase the level, tires and rims. Kind of timing of tax return was good and my front end suspension needing work now. Here's where I'm at now as of what I want to buy and hopefully works.

My Plan is a CCM 2.5 level. For wheels I have decided on Fuel Coupler 17x9 with the -12 offset.
Tires I am thinking of either the BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grappler. As far as size I am leaning towards the 295/70R17 or the 285/70R17. I think the BFG's aren't available in the 295 size. So I guess I will go with the Nitto's

Another question is load rating. I've seen both in C and E I would imagine C rating might be a more forgiving ride. I don't do much serious off roading or towing so not sure which is best.

Also where does everyone get their wheels and tire from? Locally or online mounted and shipped already. I've been checking around for the best deals. Mr. Wheel Deal wasn't too bad but found a few cheaper. I never bought wheels and tire before online, was worried about what to do if there are any issues with them. Might buy wheels online and tires locally.

I'll post up some pics when all is said and done.

OP
OP
Fir_Na_Tine

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score
Finally got some pictures of my leveled Tahoe. I feel like it's a little bit higher in the front. Although the measurements are close at just 39" from ground to middle of fender/wheel well. I also had the lower control arms replaced as they were bad according to my mechanic. It was the main reason I decided to level it.

It's a CCM 2.5 inch kit front and 1 inch in the rear. Also had Bilstein 5100 shocks installed. Which ride even better than stock.

Next up is new tires. Not sure if I can do wheels too since I had to dip into my build budget for some pressing life needs. But as for tires I'm deciding between 285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3 or 33x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The Falken are available in load E in the LT size or less in the P size. The P size is snow rated and has a higher warranty. Any pros or cons between LT load E rated and the P ones? I rarely if ever do any towing. Do the E load rated ride much harder? 43273f7b21d02084c923cf6c7713bb67.jpge360f741293b1a921a07c24d57ef2fdd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My comments here are directed not to the brands selected but rather the comparison between the P-Metric and LT tires.

The LT tires will be physically heavier and more durable and use more air to support the same amount of weight as a P-Metric. You'll almost never get a nail in your tire with an LT in LR E. The depth of the tread blocks is usually about 2/32s more. LTs can be excellent snow tires if they were designed for it. P-Metrics use less air to support the same amount of weight and generally provide a smoother ride but less flexibility in air pressures variances. LT tires are made for varying the air pressure for towing and different off-roading adventures. You can air them down for sandy situations or fill them up for towing. That being said, while an LR E tire has a maximum air pressure of 80 psi, A Tahoe would not need them over 50 psi even while towing. This contributes to longevity. I reckon that because of the many varied ways an LT tire can be used, this is why manufacturers do not put a warranty on them. Warranties are really a sales thing and not really that important when you know what a tire can do. An LT tire is generally not as fuel efficient as a P-Metric because of the additional weight alone. How much less, if any, is dependent on many factors like tread design and weight, not to mention the sizes chosen. Some folks say it's 1-2 mpg in the same tire size. Generally, the P-Metrics will deliver a smoother ride but the differences is marginal and probably very subjective and brand and type dependent.

For example, my KO2s do not have a warranty but most folks get 60,000 miles out of them when aired up properly. I will probably see about 50,000 out of mine because I was stubborn and did not keep enough air in them in the beginning, they wore quickly until I listened to what the BFG Rep told me to do and ignored my justifications for running less!

OP
OP
Fir_Na_Tine

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score
My comments here are directed not to the brands selected but rather the comparison between the P-Metric and LT tires.

The LT tires will be physically heavier and more durable and use more air to support the same amount of weight as a P-Metric. You'll almost never get a nail in your tire with an LT in LR E. The depth of the tread blocks is usually about 2/32s more. LTs can be excellent snow tires if they were designed for it. P-Metrics use less air to support the same amount of weight and generally provide a smoother ride but less flexibility in air pressures variances. LT tires are made for varying the air pressure for towing and different off-roading adventures. You can air them down for sandy situations or fill them up for towing. That being said, while an LR E tire has a maximum air pressure of 80 psi, A Tahoe would not need them over 50 psi even while towing. This contributes to longevity. I reckon that because of the many varied ways an LT tire can be used, this is why manufacturers do not put a warranty on them. Warranties are really a sales thing and not really that important when you know what a tire can do. An LT tire is generally not as fuel efficient as a P-Metric because of the additional weight alone. How much less, if any, is dependent on many factors like tread design and weight, not to mention the sizes chosen. Some folks say it's 1-2 mpg in the same tire size. Generally, the P-Metrics will deliver a smoother ride but the differences is marginal and probably very subjective and brand and type dependent.

For example, my KO2s do not have a warranty but most folks get 60,000 miles out of them when aired up properly. I will probably see about 50,000 out of mine because I was stubborn and did not keep enough air in them in the beginning, they wore quickly until I listened to what the BFG Rep told me to do and ignored my justifications for running less!
Thanks for the in depth reply. I did notice the no warranty on the LT tires and also with the Falken tires the P metrics carry the three peak snow rating but the LT does not.

I think I'll go with the LT ones since I rather have a little more durability than comfort or gas mileage.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep