LED vs. HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KEVIN GARRETT

Reaction score
ok so I currently have 6k HID's now but am thinking about swapping over to LED headlights and fog's. Why is everyone's preference and which one do you think will last longer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LEDs should last much longer than HIDs because there are virtually no "loose" parts. HID bulbs have electrodes inside of a vacuum chamber to burn salts, much like a regular bulb has a filament in a vacuum. So, they're susceptible to the same failures from fluctuating voltages, shock (vibrations), and temperatures. Also, HIDs have ballasts (transformers), which have their own set of potential failure points. LEDs as headlights is still a relatively new technology, but it's progressed enough that it's original equipment on some newer vehicles. So, there are viable options for LED headlights, you just have to have quality bulbs and they have to be in a proper housing to use the light effectively. HIDs also require a proper housing. A huge benefit of LEDs is that it's an "instant-on" kind of light. HIDs require a warm-up period before they reach their maximum output. The higher quality HIDs have shorter warm-up times, but you're gonna pay a premium for the better HIDs. If anything, I'd invest in LEDs installed in a properly-focused housing. At the very least, I'd get the best projector style headlights I could find and put quality LEDs in them. If you have a Yukon, you could get by easily with some OEM Denali headlight housings. If a Tahoe/Suburban, you're gonna have to get aftermarket projector housings, which can be found all over eBay. These generally have a crappy output pattern, but you can get high quality projectors from places such as TRS and swap them into the housings.

OP
OP
K

KEVIN GARRETT

Reaction score
LEDs should last much longer than HIDs because there are virtually no "loose" parts. HID bulbs have electrodes inside of a vacuum chamber to burn salts, much like a regular bulb has a filament in a vacuum. So, they're susceptible to the same failures from fluctuating voltages, shock (vibrations), and temperatures. Also, HIDs have ballasts (transformers), which have their own set of potential failure points. LEDs as headlights is still a relatively new technology, but it's progressed enough that it's original equipment on some newer vehicles. So, there are viable options for LED headlights, you just have to have quality bulbs and they have to be in a proper housing to use the light effectively. HIDs also require a proper housing. A huge benefit of LEDs is that it's an "instant-on" kind of light. HIDs require a warm-up period before they reach their maximum output. The higher quality HIDs have shorter warm-up times, but you're gonna pay a premium for the better HIDs. If anything, I'd invest in LEDs installed in a properly-focused housing. At the very least, I'd get the best projector style headlights I could find and put quality LEDs in them. If you have a Yukon, you could get by easily with some OEM Denali headlight housings. If a Tahoe/Suburban, you're gonna have to get aftermarket projector housings, which can be found all over eBay. These generally have a crappy output pattern, but you can get high quality projectors from places such as TRS and swap them into the housings.

Thank you. I have an 06 Tahoe and already have the depo projectors which I am very pleased with so I will prob just take some time and do plenty of research and get a good set of LEDS to go in there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I have an 06 Tahoe and already have the depo projectors which I am very pleased with so I will prob just take some time and do plenty of research and get a good set of LEDS to go in there.

I've heard Depo is one of the better brands. Post up some before and after pics!

burbplayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer use vanquishauto company for hids and leds. Xenon depot s_ _ _ _ ! I ordered some of their hids and they blow it in 3 months, no good quality. Then i decided to buy vanquishauto.com hids and leds for my fogs and they are incredible bright and amazing cutoff no more glare.

I will recommend vanquishauto.com for anyone interested in getting best hids or leds.

omar ortiz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have leds from JDM Astar for well over a year, no issues here and light output is great.

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
I'm curious as to the fog LED conversion. Depo housings in the Tahoe seem to be a really good match for the headlights, tho I haven't seen anything as to what to use for the fogs.

Windwalker

Reaction score
ok so I currently have 6k HID's now but am thinking about swapping over to LED headlights and fog's. Why is everyone's preference and which one do you think will last longer ?

I have some OPT7 for low beams and Depo headlights and they are alright. I would pick them over HID but I'm looking into some gtr leds which are gonna cost some but they are spectacular. By design and everything leds are superior, but with anything you could always run into defected product. I have 3000k hid from DDM in my fogs and I could seriously drive around with just them on. Better than most's headlights. Just if I were you make sure you get leds that adjust. The OPT7 rotate so you can find the right pattern for your needs.