LED Taillights How to on Barn door models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the newer version of these lights have it built in. Mine have resistors built in on the turn signal, but not the brake lights.

If I recall though I remember seeing a thread about newer version of these lights not needing any resistors at all.

So 5 years later still work great btw lol...

And yes I did have to add a resistor to the brake lights to keep cruise control. It was a month or 2 after doing the write up that I realized my cruise wasn't working.

And pictures work for me. What about yall?

Creed422

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Were there any major gaps when installing these lights or did everything fit snug once you cut away what was needed?

When I was looking for a set these were the exact lights I was leaning towards, then saw they were non-barndoor, then came across your post. Oh and yeah your pics are loading but didnt see one with a resistor. Where did you install it and what type of reisitor was it?

I think the newer version of these lights have it built in. Mine have resistors built in on the turn signal, but not the brake lights.

If I recall though I remember seeing a thread about newer version of these lights not needing any resistors at all.

So 5 years later still work great btw lol...

And yes I did have to add a resistor to the brake lights to keep cruise control. It was a month or 2 after doing the write up that I realized my cruise wasn't working.

And pictures work for me. What about yall?

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Were there any major gaps when installing these lights or did everything fit snug once you cut away what was needed?

When I was looking for a set these were the exact lights I was leaning towards, then saw they were non-barndoor, then came across your post. Oh and yeah your pics are loading but didnt see one with a resistor. Where did you install it and what type of reisitor was it?

Yea I never did add pictures of it. Just a simple 50w load resistor. Look on Amazon. They are like 5-10 bucks. I installed it behind one of the tail lights.

I think they fit better than stock. No gaps at all. Ask cattivo if his needed resistors or not. The new ones may not even need them anymore

silverfox103

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Goodmorning Shawn

As you know, not much available for aftermarket tail lights. Searched and came across your "tail light how to".

The tail lights you used, coincidentally are the ones I like. Until, I found these, which I like a little bit more, but not much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-CHERR...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Can you take a look at and see what you think. The backup light is in a different location than your lights, which may create a problem.

Picked up the Yukon down in GA, almost 2 years ago where we are snowbirds. Great truck! Been fixing the piddly little stuff, that makes the difference. Got 95% of them done.

Thanks

Tom
Littleton NH

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goodmorning Shawn

As you know, not much available for aftermarket tail lights. Searched and came across your "tail light how to".

The tail lights you used, coincidentally are the ones I like. Until, I found these, which I like a little bit more, but not much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-CHERRY-RED-2000-2006-GMC-Yukon-XL-Tahoe-Suburban-C-Shape-LED-Tail-Lights/172326182020?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Can you take a look at and see what you think. The backup light is in a different location than your lights, which may create a problem.

Picked up the Yukon down in GA, almost 2 years ago where we are snowbirds. Great truck! Been fixing the piddly little stuff, that makes the difference. Got 95% of them done.

Thanks

Tom
Littleton NH

Hey Tom,
Unfortunately those lights wont work. The reverse light will hit the door hinge. You have to fine some where there is a reflector down low and make clearance

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is sharp, had these taillights on my hatch yukon. Very nice work and post!

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on finding a bolt on set. There were others that could fit without any mods, but I didn't care for the style. I liked the clean look of the ones I used.
I sold that yukon about a year ago, the tail lights worked and looked great still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt