LED power window switch mod 00-02 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DacMan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been mentioned but I think it's important to not that if you do end up doing this swap that your switches will no longer light up with the light switch or "Dim" (they don't really dim much anyway) because you have soldered into the power supply for your switches and not your lights. However I may have made a mistake and soldered into the wrong line. Scottyboy is this right?

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been mentioned but I think it's important to not that if you do end up doing this swap that your switches will no longer light up with the light switch or "Dim" (they don't really dim much anyway) because you have soldered into the power supply for your switches and not your lights. However I may have made a mistake and soldered into the wrong line. Scottyboy is this right?

You are somewhat correct. The door switch backlighting does not dim with the dash lighting. Its actually a separate circuit that does not dim at all. Even with the factory lighting, if you dim the dash lights all the way down, the door switch lights will stay their full brightness (which isn't really very bright to begin with).
So yes you will not be able to dim them. But as far as wiring it to the wrong circuit, you probably have the right circuit but didn't realize that they do not dim. If they light up as soon as you turn the ignition switch on, then you do have them wired wrong. They should turn off and on with the headlights just like the dash lighting. The only difference is they do not work with the dimmer on the headlight switch.
To prove this, check your fuse panel. The dash lights are on a fuse labeled "illum", and the door switch lighting is on the fuse labeled "int park".

Last edited:

DacMan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are somewhat correct. The door switch backlighting does not dim with the dash lighting. Its actually a separate circuit that does not dim at all. Even with the factory lighting, if you dim the dash lights all the way down, the door switch lights will stay their full brightness (which isn't really very bright to begin with).
So yes you will not be able to dim them. But as far as wiring it to the wrong circuit, you probably have the right circuit but didn't realize that they do not dim. If they light up as soon as you turn the ignition switch on, then you do have them wired wrong. They should turn off and on with the headlights just like the dash lighting. The only difference is they do not work with the dimmer on the headlight switch.
To prove this, check your fuse panel. The dash lights are on a fuse labeled "illum", and the door switch lighting is on the fuse labeled "int park".

Ahh okay, I wired it into the ignition. I have a Silverado instead of Tahoe so same idea but a little bit different setup. I appreciate you explaining this to me and your quality info on door switches, and hvac controls.

Thanks, DacMan

rocaloca

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Scotty, In measuring your resistance calculations to find your resistor value for the Blue LED's, what was the voltage output at the terminal with the car running? Does it jump to 14.1V or is it regulated to 12V? I am trying to replace the LED's but with Red instead of Blue and wanted to know what resistors i'm going to need. In order to figure that out I need to know the Voltage at the pins with the car on (Max Voltage). This also goes for your A/C upgrade writeup, What was the measured voltage at the panel? I am hoping that they are all the same. That would make things alot easier.

Thanks
Chris

Moose912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the grave.... How do I do this on an 05? I'm going to convert it all. Literally all.... I saw a post about it being different 03+. Any links? Searched and found nothing.

Smoke Em All

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the grave.... How do I do this on an 05? I'm going to convert it all. Literally all.... I saw a post about it being different 03+. Any links? Searched and found nothing.
I'm in the same boat with my '03 Tahoe....I've seen the finished product everywhere but, cannot find a write up!?

gettygatz4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 01 Tahoe and I want to do 5mm flat top super bright white on my windows switch & ac control & head lights switch & my power mirror switch but I don't know which resistors to buy can you please help a brother out since you have the knowledge

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 01 Tahoe and I want to do 5mm flat top super bright white on my windows switch & ac control & head lights switch & my power mirror switch but I don't know which resistors to buy can you please help a brother out since you have the knowledge

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Use a 470 ohm resistor on each LED. Just make sure that the resistor is on the positive leg of the LED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts