LED Headlight's too much info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,..ive been reading/researching led conversion on my nbs z71,.. Alot of mis-information out there,... What ive gathered so far; HIDs still have better light coverage but run hotter and are more involved on install,..LEDs are fast approaching the same performance, run cooler, are easier to install,...but require projector housings to be as efficient...is there an LED bulb that can be used with stock housing with benefits ?...cost of each seem subjective. Please send me in the correct direction...im ok with an Ebay kit for around $100 if theyre worth it....thank you in advance.

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score
Here's my $.02. I've run HIDs in several of my vehicles, the most recent being my '06 Sierra with Depo Denali headlights. HIDs need a projector to function correctly and not blind people. Now in my '04 Yukon, I bought LEDs for the stock fluted housings and they were AWESOME. Great light output, good pattern and didn't get high beamed by other people once I adjusted them properly.

Then I ran across a smoking deal on some Denali projectors again. Threw the same LEDs in them and meh, my output got cut in half. I'm planning on retrofitting them with HIDs and parts from TRS that I've had on the shelf since I had my Sierra. A better projector and everything, my buddy runs them in his '06 Sierra and they've got AMAZING light output and pattern. But it's probably about $200-300 in parts to do the retro properly.

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's 2 cents,..#04Huck,... may I ask which LED bulb's you used in the stock housing that gave you the good results ?

I took a shot on some LED's after reading a lot of the same stuff it sounds like you've researched. Here is my write-up about them.
Hope this helpshttp://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/led-headlights-→-supernova-v-3.98588/

Thats a very informative video in your link PNW,...those Supernova's can only be had through HR for around $149,... is that for (4) bulbs ? Hi/low beam ?

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's 2 cents,..#04Huck,... may I ask which LED bulb's you used in the stock housing that gave you the good results ?

Thats a very informative video in your link PNW,...those Supernova's can only be had through HR for around $149,... is that for (4) bulbs ? Hi/low beam ?

That is for 2 bulbs. I got mine on sale for $120.00, which did feel kind of high from what I was typically paying for halogens. But I religiously change bulbs every year going into fall / adverse weather season (don't want to take any chances since I start work at 0'dark thirty), and typically spend about $60.00 for a decent pair of halogens. The Novas have a 2 year warranty, so even if they only last two years, the cost is a wash for me. That was my thought process on it at least.

Regardless of what you go with, throw up a post about them. I'm always interested to see peoples reviews on alternatives to halogens.

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score
?

I bought Auxbeam brand on Amazon. They were on prime, and $30 a pair. I bought both high and low beam. These:

Auxbeam LED Headlights F-S2 Series 9006 HB4 HB4U LED Headlight Bulbs with 2 Pcs of Led Headlight Bulb Conversion Kits 72W 8000LM Bridgelux COB Chips Fog Light - 1 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KFBPBX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MNUbBbBE3RXRY

They also have an “upgrade” for $50 but I don’t know that it would be worth it. I was very impressed with these, at least in the stock housings. Between the 2 sets of lights, I’ve had them for about 6 months so longevity seems ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is for 2 bulbs. I got mine on sale for $120.00, which did feel kind of high from what I was typically paying for halogens. But I religiously change bulbs every year going into fall / adverse weather season (don't want to take any chances since I start work at 0'dark thirty), and typically spend about $60.00 for a decent pair of halogens. The Novas have a 2 year warranty, so even if they only last two years, the cost is a wash for me. That was my thought process on it at least.

Regardless of what you go with, throw up a post about them. I'm always interested to see peoples reviews on alternatives to halogens.

Good lord! I have had the same 4 hid bulbs and ballasts in my yukon for the past 4 or 5 years.
But they are all TRS brand. I wonder how the TRS LEDs do

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Good lord! I have had the same 4 hid bulbs and ballasts in my yukon for the past 4 or 5 years.
But they are all TRS brand. I wonder how the TRS LEDs do

I had some problems with the car I had before the tahoe. It seemed about every 1.5 years, the headlights would start to dim out. It wasn't typically too much of a problem, but in the dark with rain, I had multiple times where if there were no street lights, I could even see the lines on the road, and that was with glass housings that didn't yellow or get hazy. (Looking back on it, maybe they were just sh*t housings from GM to begin with...) I finally made my peace with $60.00 a year. I do enough driving in the dark / rain and should my wife take my car, I want her to be able to see, I felt ok with it. But the switch away from Halogens has been pretty awesome, I'm about 7 months into these bulbs so far, but I plan on running them till they die, not swapping them yearly.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yea... I haven't had a halogen headlight bulb in any of my vehicles in probably 8-10 years... wouldn't even know the lifespan anymore.

My 87 c10 still has halogen bulbs, but I dont drive it at night, and I haven't gotten around to doing a projector retrofit yet.

But once you go to actual hid projectors, you'll never want to drive with halogens or reflector housings again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh