LED headlight upgrade bulbs that work properly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KR66

Reaction score
I have been trying research LED bulbs to upgrade to in my 01 YUKON, and looking at the reviews on Amazon I can't find any that don't have disastrous reviews! I am looking for upgrade bulbs that focus properly with minimal refraction to oncomming drivers, but also provide a decent amount of light! All the reviews have good but some really bad statements ( dark spots, bulb failure, etc) I know Amazon reviews are a mess and regularly are for variation of the same product eg 9005, 9006, 880 etc this is a major flaw In Amazons review system. I just want bulbs for my high and low and also a decent upgrade for the fog lights high out put LED 880's! I see some have fans some have a braided heatsink, what works for you guys? I don't mind paying $50- $60 a pair but they need to be reliable at least to there claimed life expectancy, they have different controllers, led types, 360° bulbs, there are so many cheep knock offs it's hard to know who's selling the good stuff and whose selling cheap Chinese garbage sold with fake or similar brand names. Any one found a decent brand and type that works with the factory headlight assembly? Thanks

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Check out opt7. I run them on few of my cars. I also like Phillips crewmen visions. I have h11 installed for fog on my civic and work great

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got OPT7 on my Tahoe in both spots, and they work fine.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazon is a great resource for a lot of things but I'm not so sure I'd go there for the better-quality LED bulbs that will perform well in factory reflector housings.

Check out headlightrevolution.com and see many of their very informative videos on YouTube. They convinced me to try one of the LED brands that they market: Supernova v3. Good build quality, very good beam pattern performance in a reflector housing, easy to install and not crazy expensive. If I receive them this weekend, I plan to install by Sunday. Will post pics including before & after.

Last edited:

ge0rgin0

Reaction score
Im also looking at a Headlight Upgrade.
Before though, im gonna use 400, 600, 2000 grit sand paper to clear up the hazed look and seal with clear coat.

(This CHRISfix does a good job imo)

Im gonna check out that website. Looking to spend $80-100 cuz i also need to buy some new LED Fog Lights. The Driver side glass broke and well i want a new look. Im also keeping an eye out for "Lumens & Color Temperature" specs

Eventually I want to install all LED light bulbs, even upgrade the tail lights. Anyone ever changed out the Side View Mirror Under light? ?

Screenshot_2017-10-07-22-04-08.png

I notice this 9006 Bulb has no Fan/Heat Sink...but a sort of cooling coil? Hmmmm

Last edited:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a braided metal heat sink. Braids are soft & pliable to allow bending to fit in/around tight spaces while drawing heat away from the unit.

I put LEDs in my puddle lights and like them. I got all my interior, license plate and puddle light LEDs from idjmtoy.com just because that was the first place I went to online that offered good prices, broad selection and a very easy way to pick/compare bulbs. For headlight LED I wanted to make sure I was going with more than just a good price---I wanted some bonafide research and great performance.

Vanquish Auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
202 Wallace Ave N Unit 12 Lehigh Acres FL 33971
Here is a quick comparison between our lights next to the opt7.
You can tell that the opt7 is the brightest one is the picture where you are looking in front of the car. This is done in purpose to make it look that way.

055940A0-69A9-4A4B-86F7-B28A3C1006FC.jpeg

For the cutoff beam pattern you can see the opt7 is unexistent. All you see is the brightness and cutoff of our light and the unnecessary glare produced by the opt7.

B73320C8-872D-4C4F-8885-0B15F324E8C3.jpeg

We did a lux test on each of the bulbs at just 10-15 ft away and the opt7 was putting only 229 lux, the halogen was 338 and our light did 1059.

Vanquish Auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
202 Wallace Ave N Unit 12 Lehigh Acres FL 33971
Forgot about this, that car had dust caps that are now melted because of the heat sinks. The braided heat sinks will do just the same. They also overheat because of the lack of exterior driver. That are also not weatherproof bringing moisture inside the lamp housing.
4e13f089322e2327a5e5480a8f3b9851.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the Silver lux brand. I buy from reputable dealers.. Granted that you never know what you're getting or from whom... ebay or Amazon... not so sure..

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I currently have the the ones with metal braids. So for they work great