LED Daytime running lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PAChevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the harness. Pretty straight forward, hardest part was getting the plug off of the LED strip.

Now, the LED'S are always on when the truck is on, even if I turn the headlight switch to the off position. If I try and turn on the parking lights, the headlights come on. But, I wss aware of that before installing.

So, this harness works as advertised, headlights are off during daylight driving, and just the running lights are on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
So, what the harness does is operate the LEDs off the low beam headlight circuit and the low beam headlights off the parking light circuit via the relays. Originally the LEDs operated off the parking light circuit.

PAChevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I tried it out myself and it worked. I literally just cut the wire for pin 2 and pin 6. Swapped it. Back into the headlight assembly and done. So now the led strip is on during the day and at night the headlights come on. Very easy without having to buy any new harness. The intensity of the led strip is the same. I didnt want to do more cutting or any other mods and end up screwing everything up. But at the end am super happy with the outcome. I also upgraded all the lights to LED - morimoto brand since I took the whole front end apart to make it easier to cut and swap.
You are now running your low beams off the parking light circuit and LEDs off the headlight circuit. Might work OK with LED headlight bulbs but wouldn't want to do it with Halogen or Hid bulbs. Parking light circuit isn't designed to handle the extra current flow, you would need the relays.

NappyBoy

Reaction score
For Head Light assembly. I believe they are the same between LT and LTZ suburban (at least on 2015 version as I have). I checked from GMPartsDirect.com and that came with part number 2349005 (left) and 2349006 (right) without HID low beam.
I also reviewed Schematic for Suburban electrical system. The park light LED is driven by PWM signal which outputs a partial high voltage (12V) and rest of the time - 0. the driving voltage is fast toggled (at least 50 times per second) then people will not notice flickering. This makes LT park light dimmed as compared to LTZ version, LED used as DRL.
A straight modification is to cut Pin 6 (park light) wire from Head Light assembly connector, put a 4700u, 50V, 105c capacitor in between input and ground, then use this input wire as trigger signal for a relay. This relay will take 12V as voltage input and output will be connected to Head Light assembly pin 6.
A better modification will be combine park light input voltage (pin 6) and Low beam input voltage (pin 2, used as DRL with PWM when light sensor detects enough day time light), as Relay driver signal. Then LED light will be always on, with full 12V voltage supported.

I did not make this change on my LT suburban yet. I always want to build my own harness but having trouble removing the head light plug from assembly socket (X110, X120 forward lamp harness to headlamp harness). Can anyone help me to understand the correct steps to remove this plug?

I'd love to put some initial design of the harness here. One more question, what do you guys think should be the correct behavior?
This is what I want,
1. Park - LED dimmed, low beam off
2. Driving (day time) - LED on, full light, low beam dimmed
3. Driving (night) - LED on, full light, low beam full light
can you do a video tutorial on youtube because im almost hakf way around the globe and i work on my tahoe plus our local dealer is ******

ERS2015

Reaction score
So I tried it out myself and it worked. I literally just cut the wire for pin 2 and pin 6. Swapped it. Back into the headlight assembly and done. So now the led strip is on during the day and at night the headlights come on. Very easy without having to buy any new harness. The intensity of the led strip is the same. I didnt want to do more cutting or any other mods and end up screwing everything up. But at the end am super happy with the outcome. I also upgraded all the lights to LED - morimoto brand since I took the whole front end apart to make it easier to cut and swap.

Could you please give more explanation to what you did to make the leds work for the DRL’s? Was this done on the headlight plug or the DRL plug?

joeinsac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"A straight modification is to cut Pin 6 (park light) wire from Head Light assembly connector, put a 4700u, 50V, 105c capacitor in between input and ground, then use this input wire as trigger signal for a relay. This relay will take 12V as voltage input and output will be connected to Head Light assembly pin 6.
A better modification will be combine park light input voltage (pin 6) and Low beam input voltage (pin 2, used as DRL with PWM when lightsensor detects enough day time light), as Relay driver signal. Then LEDlight will be always on, with full 12V voltage supported."

Hi, so does this modification make the LEDlight 100% brightness like on the LTZ? Or is this mod just turning off the DRL Halogen and running the LEDlight by itself at the default 50% brightness currently found on the LS/LT models? Thanks!

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 LT now has this feature.
All the 2018Tahoes and Suburbans now have LED DRLs. Was one of the production changes from 17.

Don’t know what it would take to retrofit or if it is merely a programming change.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Any updates on being able to retrofit the 2018 DRLs into earlier models?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon