LED Daytime running lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The changes makes me happy that I got a 2017 LT. I have wireless charging and the 8" driver information center both of which will only be available on the premier. I was bummed about the lights too but I prefer the 8" dic and the wireless charging over the led.

Below are the changes for the 2018 model year from the GM fleet web site. I do not see where there is a change to indicate that the 8"DIC will only be available on the Premier. What was your source?

Chevrolet Truck Suburban Retail and Fleet

Deletions
bullet.gif
Exterior color (GWT) Champagne Silver Metallic
bullet.gif
(IO3) AM/FM stereo with CD player (1FL and 1LS Fleet)
bullet.gif
(UDC) One-color Driver Information Center (1FL)

New Features
bullet.gif
(SCN) RST, includes (SGK) 22" Gloss Black aluminum wheels with custom silver inserts, (P3H) front and rear black bowties, unique Gloss Black Sport grille with body-color surround, body-color door handles and headlamp accents, Black mirror caps, beltline moldings and roof rails and Black nameplate badging
bullet.gif
Exterior color (G9K) Satin Steel Metallic

Changes
bullet.gif
(PCW) Enhanced Driver Alert Package is now available on 1FL (was not available in 2017 model year)
bullet.gif
(K4C) Wireless Charging is no longer included in (PCK) Luxury Package or (PDA) Texas Edition Package on LT
bullet.gif
(IO5) Chevrolet MyLink Radio with 8" diagonal color touch-screen is now standard on 1FL (was not available on 1FL in 2017 model year)
bullet.gif
(U2L) HD Radio is now standard on 1FL (was not available on 1FL in 2017 model year)
bullet.gif
(UDD) 4.2" diagonal multi-color Driver Information Center is now standard on 1FL (was not available in 2017 model year)
bullet.gif
(UK3) Steering wheel-mounted audio, cruise and Driver Information Center controls are now standard on 1FL (was not available in 2017 model year)
bullet.gif
(UJM) Tire Pressure Monitor now contains Tire Fill Alert
bullet.gif
Exterior color (GMU) Pepperdust Metallic is no longer available with interior color (H4X) Cocoa / Mahogany
bullet.gif
LED Daytime Running Lamps are now standard on 1FL, LS and LT

BWR7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went through the print book to look at everything in detail and it shows on page 41 that the 8" dic is only available on the premier. Not sure why it's not listed on the change page though. I looked at the same print book for 2017 and it does show the 8" dic standard on the LT and Priemer.

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/printbook

BWR7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think my linked worked. Here is a screen shot from the print book.

IMG_2368.PNG

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too - 2017 Yukon SLT Premium with 8" DIC and wireless charging so the lights are no bid deal at all LOVE the 8" with themes.......just so nice to have the option to change that - makes feel new each time I change it.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

orlopez_oc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For Head Light assembly. I believe they are the same between LT and LTZ suburban (at least on 2015 version as I have). I checked from GMPartsDirect.com and that came with part number 2349005 (left) and 2349006 (right) without HID low beam.
I also reviewed Schematic for Suburban electrical system. The park light LED is driven by PWM signal which outputs a partial high voltage (12V) and rest of the time - 0. the driving voltage is fast toggled (at least 50 times per second) then people will not notice flickering. This makes LT park light dimmed as compared to LTZ version, LED used as DRL.
A straight modification is to cut Pin 6 (park light) wire from Head Light assembly connector, put a 4700u, 50V, 105c capacitor in between input and ground, then use this input wire as trigger signal for a relay. This relay will take 12V as voltage input and output will be connected to Head Light assembly pin 6.
A better modification will be combine park light input voltage (pin 6) and Low beam input voltage (pin 2, used as DRL with PWM when light sensor detects enough day time light), as Relay driver signal. Then LED light will be always on, with full 12V voltage supported.

I did not make this change on my LT suburban yet. I always want to build my own harness but having trouble removing the head light plug from assembly socket (X110, X120 forward lamp harness to headlamp harness). Can anyone help me to understand the correct steps to remove this plug?

I'd love to put some initial design of the harness here. One more question, what do you guys think should be the correct behavior?
This is what I want,
1. Park - LED dimmed, low beam off
2. Driving (day time) - LED on, full light, low beam dimmed
3. Driving (night) - LED on, full light, low beam full light

Did you ever get this to work? I recently bought a 2016 Suburban and would like to do this mod on my truck. I had thought about the same kind of setup you explained. Just changing the way the pins send signal to the headlight assembly. I'm surprised no one on this forum replied or commented on your post. Let me know. Am very interested if you got it to work.

bourgeois

Reaction score
I would also like to know more!!

Did you ever get this to work? I recently bought a 2016 Suburban and would like to do this mod on my truck. I had thought about the same kind of setup you explained. Just changing the way the pins send signal to the headlight assembly. I'm surprised no one on this forum replied or commented on your post. Let me know. Am very interested if you got it to work.
I

orlopez_oc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I tried it out myself and it worked. I literally just cut the wire for pin 2 and pin 6. Swapped it. Back into the headlight assembly and done. So now the led strip is on during the day and at night the headlights come on. Very easy without having to buy any new harness. The intensity of the led strip is the same. I didnt want to do more cutting or any other mods and end up screwing everything up. But at the end am super happy with the outcome. I also upgraded all the lights to LED - morimoto brand since I took the whole front end apart to make it easier to cut and swap.

Stantkn120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I tried it out myself and it worked. I literally just cut the wire for pin 2 and pin 6. Swapped it. Back into the headlight assembly and done. So now the led strip is on during the day and at night the headlights come on. Very easy without having to buy any new harness. The intensity of the led strip is the same. I didnt want to do more cutting or any other mods and end up screwing everything up. But at the end am super happy with the outcome. I also upgraded all the lights to LED - morimoto brand since I took the whole front end apart to make it easier to cut and swap.

Did you take any pics while doing this mod? I would love to do this to mine just looking for a visual aid. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic