LED Daytime running lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cade lennon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The LT and LTZ have two completely different headlights no matter what you do to the LT headlights they are missing the "super bright" LED modules all together. Pretty crappy considering GMC has LED daytime running lights on all the yukons.

motorswin

Reaction score
I just turn off my lights during the day. i wanted to get the Gen 5 Diy kit but I'm not paying $155 for some plugs and wires.

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LT and LTZ have two completely different headlights no matter what you do to the LT headlights they are missing the "super bright" LED modules all together. Pretty crappy considering GMC has LED daytime running lights on all the yukons.

So I have heard this several times and I also know the answer is probably somewhere on these 42 comments on this thread...would it be possible to just buy the light housings? OR get lucky enough to find a 2015-17 in the junk yard that still has the lights intact that you could just remove and replace with the LT lights? I would imagine for a nice price....you can just order the LTZ headlights right? There are so many aftermarket lights out there, you would think that GM would be smart enough to make the LTZ lights and have them available for an upgrade on the LS and LT models. Im sure when its all said and done, is it worth the possible $1k to make the LED lights brighter and for me, it would be something I would consider.

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess by the looks of the link below (which was shared earlier in this thread) that you can get the LTZ lights but you lose the ability to have the LED only as the headlights turn on when you turn on the parking lights.

I also saw that someone said that the LED lights do stay on when the truck is on, even if the lights are in the OFF position. Which is great.... BUT is the LED light the super bright or is it just on? I can care less about the DRL. I just want to extra bright LED strip.

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Tahoe/Tahoe-LED-DRL-Harness/
"With this harness you will lose the ability of having just the parking lights on with out the headlights also being on. Anytime the parking lights are on, your headlights will also be on"

Michael Zhang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For Head Light assembly. I believe they are the same between LT and LTZ suburban (at least on 2015 version as I have). I checked from GMPartsDirect.com and that came with part number 2349005 (left) and 2349006 (right) without HID low beam.
I also reviewed Schematic for Suburban electrical system. The park light LED is driven by PWM signal which outputs a partial high voltage (12V) and rest of the time - 0. the driving voltage is fast toggled (at least 50 times per second) then people will not notice flickering. This makes LT park light dimmed as compared to LTZ version, LED used as DRL.
A straight modification is to cut Pin 6 (park light) wire from Head Light assembly connector, put a 4700u, 50V, 105c capacitor in between input and ground, then use this input wire as trigger signal for a relay. This relay will take 12V as voltage input and output will be connected to Head Light assembly pin 6.
A better modification will be combine park light input voltage (pin 6) and Low beam input voltage (pin 2, used as DRL with PWM when light sensor detects enough day time light), as Relay driver signal. Then LED light will be always on, with full 12V voltage supported.

I did not make this change on my LT suburban yet. I always want to build my own harness but having trouble removing the head light plug from assembly socket (X110, X120 forward lamp harness to headlamp harness). Can anyone help me to understand the correct steps to remove this plug?

I'd love to put some initial design of the harness here. One more question, what do you guys think should be the correct behavior?
This is what I want,
1. Park - LED dimmed, low beam off
2. Driving (day time) - LED on, full light, low beam dimmed
3. Driving (night) - LED on, full light, low beam full light

Raymond80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2015 suburban turns on the headlights as daytime running lights. Is this normal or are the LEDs suppose to turn on as daytime running lights . I have seen other tahoes and suburbans with LEDs as there daylight running lights.

Did you ever come up with a solution to this?

Check this out:

It's an aftermarket harness that claims to solve this issue.

http://www.gen5diy.com/Tahoe-LED-DRL-Harness/

affliction4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I installed it and posted about it in this thread a page back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

So whatever came of the the issue with a few of the LEDS out? What did the dealership say?

t-pole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So whatever came of the the issue with a few of the LEDS out? What did the dealership say?
They found the headlight was defective, and needed to be replaced under warranty, but they needed to order the headlight.

I pulled the harness before I brought the truck back to them so there wouldn't be any questions. Everything works fine now.

Like someone said above, this would've been about $700 out of warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins