Leather Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
At a upholstery shop today for the convertible top on my wife’s Bug. Got side tracked and mentioned GM NNBS dash cracks. As suspected, leather is possible, but requires a change in behavior to maintain and protect it. The suggestion was matte boat vinyl that’s loaded with UV protection and will outlast the leather or GM replacement dash.

Either the dash needs to come out or the windshield. I have a broken windshield so it would be done simultaneously with the glass being replaced. Ballpark on the epoxy dash repair, ccf foam overlay and vinyl over that was approx $1k for the whole enchilada.

For longevity, this is the route I starting to lean toward. It would also have the effect of reducing interior noise because only thinsulate does it better than closed cell foam (ccf) for unwanted wind, road and exhaust noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keanen55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started looking into getting the dash wrapped too. I reached out to a couple shops here in Houston and was quoted $500-$600 and 2 days to complete. Not leather, high quality vinyl.

When I have time, I think I'm going to do it. The cracks in my dash are starting to annoy me!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started looking into getting the dash wrapped too. I reached out to a couple shops here in Houston and was quoted $500-$600 and 2 days to complete. Not leather, high quality vinyl.

When I have time, I think I'm going to do it. The cracks in my dash are starting to annoy me!
Almost 4 years have gone by, how did this work out for you?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I cannot imagine covered a cracked dash with leather or vinyl would be a good idea. The cracks will show through and will continue to crack and get worse. You'd want to start out with a new GM dash. Or just sell the truck and buy an Escalade Platinum which comes with this from the factory plus a lot more wrapped in leather.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Fast forward April 2019 to Jan 2023. We did swap the 08 YXL Denali for the 09 Escalade because the Platinum trim truck does have a leather covered dash, (4) door cards and console trimmed in high UV protected leather. Due to COVID we paid $1.2k more to swap because we bought low & sold high. To date, knock on wood, no cracked dash.

The company that GM hired to glue the leather on the dash, Dräxlmaier of Germany did so with a direct bond of contract cement on an OEM black dash. There’s no special padding or reinforcement. This is a job that can be pulled off by any upholstery shop without pulling the glass. Prep, repair and cure is the key to the existing damaged dash cap prior to leather overlay occurring or, obviously start with a new dash cap, the use high UV treated leather is a must.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
resurrecting again, saw pictures of one at a somewhat local wrecking yard
can't tell if it is a cap or not, but might be. it's a 2012 denali
cap.jpgcap1.jpgcap2.jpg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Leather Yuke Dash.PNGBump for pic of actual leather covered Yukon dash with French seams living in the wild. Didn't GM stop using the speaker in the center of the dash in 2010?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2