Leaning to the left.. problem or normal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hermans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi guys,

There is one thing, I can't really wrap my head around.
My chevy is a bit leaning to the left, especially on the back.

I know there are threads about this, but I can't see any solution ( if there is any)
Is this something normal to an GM truck? I know the gas tank is also on the left, so there is probably more weight to the left then right, I think it's curious if that would be the cause..

For example, i do have new springs and shocks, but even on a level surface it still leans a bit to the left (drivers side). Maybe there is a way to shim the body a bit on the left side?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas tank even full should not be making your truck lean. They didn't just lean from the factory and it's not normal for them to lean.

How old are the springs and shocks?
Perhaps the driver side has settled before the passenger side?

If nothing on the undercarriage (sway bar/links etc) or any mount is bent. I would swap the shocks and see if the lean switches sides if not then I would swap the springs to see if that makes a difference (only say shock swap first because they're easier).

OP
OP
H

Hermans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, actually i do have new springs and shocks, so yeah..
i agree it's not normal.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's called the Chevy lean. Completely normal. You can adjust the suspension keys up front, and then add spacers to the rear spring if you want. However, because the gas tank is only on the left, it will slightly be higher/lower.

OP
OP
H

Hermans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's about 15mm of a difference (left - right).
The thing is, i do not have a reference what is normal, so thanks for the reply's . Well, I think i will let a mechanic look at it, if mechanical wise everything is fine, I will leave it this way.

Still..it's kinda odd when designing a car, the weight of the components is not evenly distributed.. right?

I thought also, maybe you could shim the body from the frame a bit, so it stands a bit higher

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
It's called the Chevy lean. Completely normal. You can adjust the suspension keys up front, and then add spacers to the rear spring if you want. However, because the gas tank is only on the left, it will slightly be higher/lower.

X2

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's completely normal and 15mm is pretty standard. It's not just the fuel tank- the steering components are pretty hefty, too.

I wouldn't shim the body up off the frame to level it, that's about the most difficult and complicated solution one could do. Just adjust the suspension. You can make the left higher so that it sits level with a full tank of gas and even with you in it if you really wanna get nit-picky with it. About the farthest I'd go is level it with a full tank of gas.

I agree with Nathan on adjusting the torsion bars for the front first then using spacers for the rear. This can be done in minutes with hand tools.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hermans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*solved*

Just wanted to make here a note, a month ago i replaced the stabilizer bar links and the bushings and that solved the leaning
Its now perfectly even, full gas tank or not. As it should be (M1Gunner has it right ;)

On the eye there was nothing wrong to see, no bents or what so ever, but still, i guess after 12 years rubbers are going to be worn out, and the stabilizer bar isn't that tight anymore when it rolled out the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods