Leaking rear axle seal 2015 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07denaliyuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone else have a leaking axle seal at the rear wheel, drivers side?

I’d like to change out this stinking $5 seal myself, but would like to know what I’m getting into.

Is it as simple as remove the pig cover(and the crap in front of it)pull the axle clip and slide the axle out? Refill with correct volume of oil

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an older thread but my same axle is leaking as well. Did anyone find some instructions or have any insight? Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have to disassemble the rear brakes and remove the rear carrier to remove the axles, not extremely hard but not so easy either, then you have to cross your fingers it worked the first time.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to disassemble the rear brakes and remove the rear carrier to remove the axles, not extremely hard but not so easy either, then you have to cross your fingers it worked the first time.

That's what I was afraid of. I have 2 problems and I'm not sure if they will both be fixed by replacing the seal and most likely the bearing while I have it open.

I have a 2015 LT with the max trailering pkg. Do you know if this is the GM 9.5" rear axle? If so I assume it has the c-clip that needs to be removed so I will have to open the diff cover.

My 2 issues are that it's leaking and has junk/oil built up on the inside of the hub. I also have a constant squeaking coming from the same general area. The problem is when I apply the brakes the squeak goes away. So I'm not sure if they are related.

Thanks for any info you guys have.

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I have 2 problems and I'm not sure if they will both be fixed by replacing the seal and most likely the bearing while I have it open.

I have a 2015 LT with the max trailering pkg. Do you know if this is the GM 9.5" rear axle? If so I assume it has the c-clip that needs to be removed so I will have to open the diff cover.

My 2 issues are that it's leaking and has junk/oil built up on the inside of the hub. I also have a constant squeaking coming from the same general area. The problem is when I apply the brakes the squeak goes away. So I'm not sure if they are related.

I had the same issue in my ‘08 2500 D-max. GM considers the rear seals part of the drive train and replaced mine under the drive train warranty, not the bumper to bumper that had expired. Not sure how many miles you have on your rig, but if it falls within the power train limits, I would call your GM dealer and verified that it is converses under the power train warranty and let them fix it (take the liability it’s fixed right the first time ).

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue in my ‘08 2500 D-max. GM considers the rear seals part of the drive train and replaced mine under the drive train warranty, not the bumper to bumper that had expired. Not sure how many miles you have on your rig, but if it falls within the power train limits, I would call your GM dealer and verified that it is converses under the power train warranty and let them fix it (take the liability it’s fixed right the first time ).
Stupid autocorrect...
*verify
*covered

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, I was excited for a minute, then I checked Chevy's web site. It looks like powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60K miles. I'm at 65K miles...to bad I didn't ask the question sooner, I probably could have gotten it taken care of. I guess my dealer inspection during the oil changes isn't that good.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You may need to adjust or replace your parking brake shoes. Get a subscription to AllDataDIY and it has all the steps and diagrams to do the work yourself. It's good to have a helper when you're removing the c-clips, just in case they need to push/pull on the axle and give you that hairs width of clearance to pop the c-clip out. It's not difficult if everything works as it should, doesn't always. I did mine last year with my daughter and removing the c-clips was tough as was getting the pin back in because we moved the carrier too much. Another fella here busted the pin that holds the pinion pin in place and that was no fun for him to make right again.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you pull the pin that keeps the axles in place and remove the c-clips, push the axle out a bit and put that pin back in and install the bolt finger tight. That way the spider gears don't fall out while you're working on the axle and bearing. I found out the hard way and then had to get them back in along with the thrust washers and line things up again. Worst case scenario is all 4 gears with the shims fall out and then you're screwed. It's not hard to do the work though. Get a bearing remover tool, slide hammer and bearing install tool from your local loan-a-tool auto parts store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52

Latest posts