Leak from transfer case and rear shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced when i had my rear end rebuilt. I recently tore down my transfer case and i am rebuilding it at the moment. Both seals, the one that came with the rebuild kit and the one that was in my transfer case before the tear down are the same.

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the np246 transfer case

And is so the one you sent me in the link should fit

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice a difference between the ATF fluid and the blue AutotracII fluid. Except, it was constantly leaking (a very slow drip) from the transfer case output seal. When I put the the right stuff in, the leak went away or just isn't as noticeable. I've changed that output seal a couple times now. I think there is a cheap seal and a good one that cost more. Get the good one.

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a seal from AA and it worked for a weak but it is leaking again.

Also I noticed before I put the rear shaft back on I could notice a wavyness on the shaft of the slip yoke.
My question is.
Is the shaft of the slip yoke that slides back into the t-case supposed to be wavy and uneven? Or is it supposed to be smooth and straight? If straight what causes the wavyness?

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a seal from AA and it worked for a weak but it is leaking again.

Also I noticed before I put the rear shaft back on I could notice a wavyness on the shaft of the slip yoke.
My question is.
Is the shaft of the slip yoke that slides back into the t-case supposed to be wavy and uneven? Or is it supposed to be smooth and straight? If straight what causes the wavyness?
Anything that has to have a seal should always be smooth. The wavyness is probbay more and likely why your seals are getting chewed up. As your suspension works and your differential moves, the driveshaft shortens and lengtens as the slip yoke travels in and out of the transfer case. I would recommend getting a slip yoke that is perfectly smooth and even.

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info.
How can I tell what slip yoke mine is. I checked on it and could not find a part number on mine.
I have a 98 gmc yukon 4x4 sle 5.7l with the 4l60 trans and 246 tcase

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would count the splines on it. Count the splines on the transfer case shaft also. It should be 32.

Where do you live ? I replaced mine already with tom woods double cardon shaft to get rid of my vibration so I have mine I am not using. Yours should be a reverse slip yoke like the one i pulled off.

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in New Jersey....I will take it back off and count them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts