Leak from transfer case and rear shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello I just noticed I have a pretty bad leak on the rear of my transfer case. It's right where the rear drive shaft goes into the transfer case. It seems to be coming from the rubber that's stocked out on it. Here is a pic.

20170515_195206.jpg

Jazz

Reaction score
I actually just saw a video on this. It's 20 bucks and an hour of time to replace the seal.

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that its a rear output shaft seal ,but can't seem to find it anywhere local. My transfer case is the 246gm with the electric push button. Also I was reading o line that my tcase takes autotrac 2 fluid. But in my book that was in the glove box states it takes auto trans fluid. The book is the original book that came with the truck.

Thank you

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blue auto tracII fluid is what you want. There is a TSB about it somewhere. GM originally spec'ed out ATF fluid but changed it up later. I've run both (due to two different shops putting the wrong stuff in). I just change all my fluids myself and know the right stuff is in there now.

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you notice a difference when you have the blue auto trak fluid in? I will be changing my t case fluid to auto trak very soon. I just need the rear transfer case output seal first.

Is there a
The blue auto tracII fluid is what you want. There is a TSB about it somewhere. GM originally spec'ed out ATF fluid but changed it up later. I've run both (due to two different shops putting the wrong stuff in). I just change all my fluids myself and know the right stuff is in there now.

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the correct part number for the rear transfer case output shaft seal? My tcase is the 246gm tcase .can't seem to find that part for my tcase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345