Knock/detonation after Attendant filled truck up with low octane after BB Tune was done...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ballaholyk84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hows it going everyone?

So about a month or so ago I had the Black Bear Tune done to my truck (97 Tahoe LT 4x4). I have always ran 92 octane in it so its what I stuck with. Always seems to run much better for me. I had the tune done for 92 Octane specific as thats all I put into it. Well this evening, I go to get it filled up where I normally go, tell the kid "Fill up Premium" as I always do, he takes my card, gives it back and begins pumping. After the "Click" goes off, I always look back and see the total cost as well as how much went in. I noticed that he just filled my truck up with 89 Octane Regular Unleaded! I get on his case about it for a minute but didnt want to cause a huge scene so I take off. Well after about 5 miles I start to notice a loud sound that sounds like Detonation! Happens when I give it the gas under load but stops after I am cruising. If I am going up a slight incline it can be heard the best when cruising. Give it some gas to get it to drop a gear and right before it does you get that nasty clicking/ticking/baseball card in spokes almost sound.

I assume this is happening because of the low octane fuel that he put in the truck? Its never happened before and its too much of a coincidence for it to happen after he ****** up.

Would a bottle of octane booster be wise or a waste of money? Not sure what I should do but I do knopw that I am not driving the vehicle until I figure out my options.

Believe me I was furious when I looked back and saw that. Never has that happened in almost 7 years of fueling my vehicles up here in Oregon.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I would try a octain boost just to see if it works. I never use any of the additves but would be curious to see if it works.

Subscribed :popcorn:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd disconnect the fuel line at the filter and run the pump to dump the fuel into the 5-gallon jugs I use for my lawn equipment. Or at the very least, I'd pour a few bottles of octane booster in it. I can't say for sure what brands of octane booster are legit, but I'm sure an internet search would be enlightening.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote octane boost. One of the name brands like lucas or something, not the cheap stuff. I've seen it work in boats and hot rods to help reduce pinging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic