Key In Ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blake Biundo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe, I would like to keep the key in the ignition and then just carry around the Remote to lock and unlock the car, but I am worried I will kill my battery. Does leaving the key in the ignition drain the battery?

morriskb

Reaction score
I've been doing that for years in my last 5 GM Trucks. When you turn the ignition off, pull the key out around 1/2" to when the dome lights come on. That's your sign that the ignition is no longer seeing your key. Additional confirmation is when you open your door, there won't be any chime reminding you that the key is in the ignition. Just make sure you have access to a spare key in case your remote decides to die on you one day.

OP
OP
Blake Biundo

Blake Biundo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been doing that for years in my last 5 GM Trucks. When you turn the ignition off, pull the key out around 1/2" to when the dome lights come on. That's your sign that the ignition is no longer seeing your key. Additional confirmation is when you open your door, there won't be any chime reminding you that the key is in the ignition. Just make sure you have access to a spare key in case your remote decides to die on you one day.
Awesome thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tttterrrr