Key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 yukon 2wd SLE, does anyone know if the factory key fob has the chip immobilizer built in. I'm thinking about installing an ignition push button kit to alleviate the issues I'm having with the ignition sticking. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder once before but am starting to have the same issues again. Hoping this will do better for me.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the specific answer, and am not quit clear on the question..., but :

Does your key have the chip in it?
You can hit a Home Depot or anywhere else and they will check your key to see if it has a chip.
Or just ask them how much for a new key, if they tell you $42 you have a chip. :)

(As a strange side note, I did have a guy screw up my $2 Amazon chip key blank. He cut another key without the chip, and this combo can be used by holding the chip key while turning the non-chip key in the ignition.)

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I recommend it, but you can remove the chip, place it up in the steering column, then never have to buy a chip key again. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The immobilizer chip is in the key, not the fob. You can have VATS disabled so that the chipped key isn't needed.

But, how is the push-button starting gonna help? You still have to have the key turned to be able to shift out of Park.

It's strange you're having repeat issues with this. Do you ever lubricate the key cylinder? Do you have a lot of keys or other heavy items on your key chain?