Key fob locks doors but then they unlock right away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric SS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, new here. I just replaced the drivers side door/window switch on my 1998 2 door tahoe. Now, when I use the key fob to lock the doors they will lock but then unlock themselves right away. Unlock works fine when I try to unlock them from the fob and lock/unlock on the actual switch works fine. The old switch worked fine but had a cracked button so that's why I replaced it so I know it wasn't like this before I replaced the module.

Is this a bad module or do I need to initialize something? I tried to search on Google but came up empty. Thank you.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have your answer, just a few things to think about.

This symptom reminds me what happens when you try to lock it from the inside with the key in the ignition. I'm sure it is safe to say you do not have the key in the ignition, so that would lead to thinking the module, the function that checks if the key is in and pops the locks right back up.

My old Tahoe was an 02, but I'm assuming this feature was there in 98?
If you get in the car with the keys in the ignition and hit the lock button in the door, does the lock pop back up?
Does it not pop up if you do the same thing with the key out?

Before going after the module, I would be tempted to put the old switch back in.
It would help determine if there is something weird with the switch, or if you jacked some wires around during the install.

Last edited:

Rory Jenness

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try resetting your key fob to see if that works. If the problem still persists, try to get one from a salvage yard and program it to your vehicle. If none of that works, see if you can replace the receiver.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didn't have the problem until you replaced the switch on the door, then it's probably a bum switch. Maybe there is a contact in it that's barely sticking in the "unlock" position.

I'd return it for another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts