Keep autoride when lowering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eli B

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please be patient as you may have answered these questions elsewhere. I have an 02hoe 5.3 autoride without air, on 22s, looking drop it down. Aside from general advice on what's the best course, I'm curious if there's a way to keep the autoride function since I do plan on occasionally towing. I have many other plans for my Tahoe but I'll post queries in their respective categories.
Thank you

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autoride without air? Please explain.

Is it functional?

In the rear you can run shock extenders, tweak the levelling sensor, and continue to have autoride.

Whatever you do definitely do the free travel mod!

What height is your goal?

OP
OP
Eli B

Eli B

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the response. Yes my autoride uses no airbags, it's a 2002 LT, not sure when they started using airbags. Ok so the height can be adjusted, that's great news. My goal would be in the range of a 3/5 from what I've seen in pictures. Any advice on which kit to use?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the response. Yes my autoride uses no airbags, it's a 2002 LT, not sure when they started using airbags. Ok so the height can be adjusted, that's great news. My goal would be in the range of a 3/5 from what I've seen in pictures. Any advice on which kit to use?

What do your rear shocks look like? z55 and zw7 both have basically conventional looking shocks that have a built in air ballast in the rear. They look like this:

AS-2411_V1_20110501%20sm.jpg

They are controlled by the computer and there is an air compressor on board that inflates them.

If you don't have that you don't have autoride AFAIK.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give Tony @NORCAL SS a call or text or message on these boards
You can call/text me 24/7 at 415 519 2432 or email me at [email protected] if you have any questions about lowering. My name is Tony and i'm here to help you out, and yes 24/7 means just that. If you see the parts for less shoot me a email and I'll see what I can do.

http://tbssowners.com/store/

He will set you up right. I always see him on here helping guys and everyone raves about him.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yah my 2/3-4 kit but hat being said many go with my 3/5-6 kit. gets rid of autoride and rides great. Plus new bushings and balljoints in front

OP
OP
Eli B

Eli B

Reaction score
Thanks. So the 2/4 kit allows me to keep my autoride? Is it something I could do by myself? Also a"free travel mod" was mentioned but not sure what that is, could you elaborate? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne