just picked up a 2012 PPV, looking for ideas on where to start with projects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackDogBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just picked up a 2012 PPV which was an RCMP vehicle up here in Canada.
Looking to start some of the typical civialian'izing of the truck, and looking for ideas, tips, suggestions etc.
I'm pouring through all the posts on here, but wondered if anyone had any ideas on must do first items...

Some things on the list:
-rear doors (currently removed the panels, have sheet metal to keep the rear 'passengers in)
- add centre console
- add tow hitch for light trailer
- change stereo, (DVD and rear camera)
- remote starter,

with being a used police vehicle, are there any other items I should be paying attention to first
(change fuel filter, or other...)

Thanks in advance!
Brian

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did very good getting a RCMP unit !!! Those are highway miles and from what I heard that maintain their vehicles VERY well !!!

To be safe, I would say change ALL fluids !!!!!!!! Coolant/Oil/Trans flush/ Rear end DIFF

Check replace Air/Fuel Filters

Check the SERP belt for cracks and test batteries for any bad CELL'S

I have owned about 10 ex cops cars !!!

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Looking to start some of the typical civialian'izing of the truck, and looking for ideas, tips, suggestions etc.

Some fairly cheap mods
change steering wheel to a leather wrapped with the radio controls, plug and play.
remote start accessory if your unit has the correct RPO code I think it's ap8 not sure. will need to have dealer program the BCM for this option to work.
changed out the upper console and installed one with the Homelink garage door opener, plug and play
Also added the DIC buttons onto the dash, carfully cut the trim to fit the button switch, also plug and play.
added a center console
Got some factory rubber floor mats .

You can do most of this for about a Grand (US dollars)

then theres wheels, leather seats, yada yada yada ........... it can go on and on.

anyhow you got any pics?

Also a BIG WELCOME From North Carolina!!!

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BlackDogBrian, congratulations on the purchase. I grabbed an ex-OPP '14 Tahoe with 200K Km on it over a month ago.

As @bayareadude84 said, you probably want to go over the truck and get everything up to spec before tossing any money on some of the cosmetic items. I recommend you drive the truck for a month to flesh out any immediate problems and quirks.

The dealer I purchased the truck from changed the oil and that was about it. I had another shop take a look at the truck and had them change the transmission fluid for me. The truck is shifting far better and the fluid temperature is about 10C cooler on my 1 hour daily work commute than prior. The shop advised me that the rear diff. fluid was clear and didn't need to be replaced right away.

On my to-do list:
  1. @2011SSVHOE had suggested I go over all the roof holes and make sure they're sealed correctly as I did notice a leak just once after a heavy downpour but it hasn't happened since that one occasion. :confused:
  2. Spark plugs and wires.
  3. Oil pressure gauge is not holding steady when the truck is idling - it drops to the 2/5 mark. The O-ring by the oil pick up line is prone to failure and can affect this. There's also a filter/screen right after the oil pressure sensor at the top of the engine that can get clogged and affect sensor readings. The oil pan will need to be dropped to replace the O-ring and I'm hoping that goes well for me as the truck is RWD and doesn't have a front differential in the way of pan removal.
  4. Put some 'cheap' fuel at one of the local Husky stations (not by choice) and had a P015d code come up. The upstream O2 sensors will need to be replaced at some point in pairs but I cleared it and put 'good' fuel at Shell.
  5. The windshield wipers were not working when I test drove the truck and the dealer promised to fix them for me. About a month and a half later now, they're moving very sluggishly. Known issue with the wiper linkages on these trucks and probably more of an issue up North due to higher usage in the snow, etc... But make a long story short, water gets into the wiper arm mechanism and causes them to rust/seize. Cheap fix is to drill holes through the aluminum assembly and install a grease fitting or spray the assembly with some type of lubricant.
I think once the above's out of the way I'll tackle some of dings/dents and paint chips. :)

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluids were probably well maintained by the department, so I'd simply inspect, and replace if it shows signs of needing a change. I'd not worry that much about plugs and wires unless you have an obvious miss.

Definitely check your spare tire lift mechanism! They're known to be problematic, and more so in northern climates. You don't want to discover it's rusted up on the side of the road with a flat.

Check the motor mounts. They're known to fail quickly and often.

The list of mods the others have offered is solid. I'd add a 2/3" drop kit and sway bars, but I like a good-handling vehicle. Oh, and reconnect the rear door lock mechanisms and window switches when you replace the rear door panels.

badbrad10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm pouring through all the posts on here, but wondered if anyone had any ideas on must do first items...

Some things on the list:
-rear doors (currently removed the panels, have sheet metal to keep the rear 'passengers in)
- add centre console
- add tow hitch for light trailer
- change stereo, (DVD and rear camera)
- remote starter,

with being a used police vehicle, are there any other items I should be paying attention to first
(change fuel filter, or other...)

Thanks in advance!
Brian
Hi Brian. I have bought several of these tahoes in Saskatchewan. Good luck with the ones I got. Usually service is kept up to date, but some rural areas lack maintence. Especially getting to end of Govt life 120,-160 Kms as repairs etc come out of local detachment budgets. No fuel filter in tahoes, guess it's in the tank. I never did any fluid changes except oil, & air filters. Including cabin filter. Lots of gravel roads in Sask n Alberta. I am a clean freak so I took out the seats n rubber floor cleaned everything. Lots of dirt mud and wet underlay under front seats. Rear doors fill up with water , make sure drain holes are not plugged at bottom, if you have door panels off to hook up locks, handles spray rust check anti rust in the bottom of doors. Both my rear door speakers were blown(water?). In sask they do a poor job removing all decals especially the white reflective outline stripes. A hot day and hot heat gun will get the off, remove slowly or you will pull paint.. that's why auction people don't do it. White is nice seeing more of them through auction lately. Think Saskatchewan has about 200 tahoes 2011-2014, about 80 2015- clear rear glass,

OP
OP
BlackDogBrian

BlackDogBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Thank you for the replies - my appologies for not responding sooner (didn't notice the responses).
I'll take some pictures later today.

I coulnd't wait - found some of the peices and have started makjing it mine already. Yeah, it will need some minor stuff but overall the truck drives nice.

This weekend I picked up the door pannels, along with a centre console.
I figured I would need these even if I decided to dump it (no one will want to buy it as a resale without).
besides, TW (thewife) had those as manditory!
luckily I found a recycler who had these parts, and managed to get them for a good price.
Next will be a steering wheel, actually have a line on leather caddy one or a denali...

as an aside, so far, I love how it hauls. it certialy has some pick up!

More photos of the before and after with the door pannels soon

badbrad10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You did very good getting a RCMP unit !!! Those are highway miles and from what I heard that maintain their vehicles VERY well !!!

To be safe, I would say change ALL fluids !!!!!!!! Coolant/Oil/Trans flush/ Rear end DIFF

Check replace Air/Fuel Filters

Check the SERP belt for cracks and test batteries for any bad CELL'S

I have owned about 10 ex cops cars !!!
That is myth about well maintained. I was a member of the rcmp and in the 90s n early 2000s they were maintained but in the last 15 yrs the most officers could care less about their vehicles or equipment. Total neglected. Some car enthusiasts officers. But few n far between. All kinds of stores of engines going due to lack of oil, bald tires etc. In western Canada these tahoes are driven on gravel roads most of their life. In British Columbia some are on highway patrol, but again most in rural areas. I have bought a few tahoes, all turned out okay, but very dirty n lots of broken , damaged parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts