Joints and saddles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jazz

Reaction score
Hey all-

Total newb here with ujoints. Don't laugh. Ok, laugh but help me =)

So I bought an impact wrench and rented a ball joint press to do both rear driveshaft ujoints on the yukon.

Love that truck.

Ok, so I pull the driveshaft out- no problem. I got out all the ujoints in record time with that impact wrench.

I installed the joint closest to the transfer case- no problem.

I installed the joint to the rear end of the driveshaft and then tried to mate it up with the Rear Differential saddle. It wouldn't fit. I had the retaining clips in, and it was those that prevented them from being seated.

They are the Spicer Life joints- non-greasable. The best Orielly had. They fit without the clips.

SO at this point, do I have to press the caps that go into the saddle so the retaining clips fit on the inside of the saddle so the caps can fit? Or do the caps that go into the saddle need clips at all?

Im guessing what I have to do is press the 2 clips that go into the saddle slightly, and then use the clips...

I had to burn those old retaining clips out of the Yukon- so I don't have a lot to look back on.

Any help would be appreciated. Again, newb question, I know.. And thank you.

IMG_4821.JPG

Last edited:

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the clips will keep the cap in place. you need them. remove them to push the cap into the yoke. once seated, reinstall the clips.
If it only had the 2, those are the 2 that go into the driveshaft yoke, the other 2 will be held in by the straps on the axel yoke.

OP
OP
J

Jazz

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

It came with 4.. and when I have the clips on, the caps come off anyway? Maybe I have to press them down a little..

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clips do not keep them on until they are in the yoke. google an exploded view and you will see what i mean.

OP
OP
J

Jazz

Reaction score
They're in! That was thing I didn't get.. I was fine while putting them into a driveshaft but then with just the caps I was like Wtf??

Thank you a ton!!!