Jet throttle body or Hypertech max energy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have in my 2011 5.3 Tahoe is an AEM dry flow with a modified airbox (a hole cut facing the front and I insulated it to keep heat out). What would you suggest next a jet throttle body or a Hypertech Max 2.0 please no suggestions of a bb tune please....just between the jet throttle body and Hypertech max energy tune. Suggestions please....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have in my 2011 5.3 Tahoe is an AEM dry flow with a modified airbox (a hole cut facing the front and I insulated it to keep heat out). What would you suggest next a jet throttle body or a Hypertech Max 2.0 please no suggestions of a bb tune please....just between the jet throttle body and Hypertech max energy tune. Suggestions please....

If you absolutely must have one of those two items you listed, the Hypertech is the only thing that can make any sort of useful difference. The TB is a lot of money just for the looks.

This hole you cut in the air box- is there a duct going to it so it gets air from outside the engine compartment or is it just the hole? If no duct, then my next suggestion would be to patch that hole. Otherwise, it's like having an ice chest with no lid. Yeah, it's an insulated box, but with no lid it's still exposed to the outside air and heat.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you absolutely must have one of those two items you listed, the Hypertech is the only thing that can make any sort of useful difference. The TB is a lot of money just for the looks.

This hole you cut in the air box- is there a duct going to it so it gets air from outside the engine compartment or is it just the hole? If no duct, then my next suggestion would be to patch that hole. Otherwise, it's like having an ice chest with no lid. Yeah, it's an insulated box, but with no lid it's still exposed to the outside air and heat.

The rectangle cut out is facing the back of the passenger side lamp. It has to catch some outside air though any small gaps from fender and headlight and hood....anyway, I do feel a bit better throttle response...because I just don't get how the stock location could feed any air from the side and the air would have to take a right turn to go into the intake box....at least my mod, the cold air would come from the gaps....any thoughts...?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rectangle cut out is facing the back of the passenger side lamp. It has to catch some outside air though any small gaps from fender and headlight and hood....anyway, I do feel a bit better throttle response...because I just don't get how the stock location could feed any air from the side and the air would have to take a right turn to go into the intake box....at least my mod, the cold air would come from the gaps....any thoughts...?
I understand what you are saying/trying to accomplish but you have to understand these airboxes are setup and designed by engineers who study where the coolest air/most air will come from... any small gap you think is there, at speed isnt really pushing anymore into the airbox then is coming from the inner fender... i think, i think...you are confusing forced air vs cold air intake. Patch the hole and i guarantee you will see same throttle without hole....agreed on throttle body, dont... get tuner

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Think about it: The air finding it's way in between those small gap(s) in the front can not flow more/better/more smoothly than that relatively large hole in the side that's decently isolated from the engine bay. That air coming in through the front gets stalled trying to squeeze through those gaps so it's surely not any sort of "ram air" effect. Aside from the volume and speed aspect, that area is a hot spot because you have a huge forced-air heater right there in the front- the radiator. Next time you go for a drive, pop the hood and feel all around the front of your air box. It's not gonna be cool. Also, there is no "cold air" to be had except during the winter months.

The air coming in through the lower side of the fender is fed into and fills up that area inside the fender. So, it's already "there" and immediately gets sucked into the inlet side of the air box. It's not really having to make a 90° turn as if the flow is directly and exclusively going from the slots in the fender liner, up, and then making a hard turn into the air box. Sure, it's not a ram-air effect, but at least it's more of fresh air than the heated stagnant air coming through the front. Compare it to the cowl induction hood. The air may not be forced into forward-facing nostrils, but there's an area of high pressure air that builds at the base of the windshield that's readily inhaled as it's fed into the rearward-facing duct. A side note to the ram air effect, if you didn't already know, is that it has been proven to be ineffective at any speed your Tahoe will ever be capable of. As far as you feeling better throttle response- that's purely subjective without having actual testing and official numbers. Most anyone that does something, especially something permanent, to their car in hopes for better performance is gonna "feel" more power. I can see where there MAY actually be better off-idle throttle response since there's a huge hole providing more volume. This would be great for all those times you wanna race someone to 20 MPH. But, once the engine bay gets good and heated, any gains you may have from the extra volume are negated by the timing being retarded due to the higher intake air temps. For the other 99% of your driving, feeding your engine air that is isolated from the engine bay is best.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying/trying to accomplish but you have to understand these airboxes are setup and designed by engineers who study where the coolest air/most air will come from... any small gap you think is there, at speed isnt really pushing anymore into the airbox then is coming from the inner fender... i think, i think...you are confusing forced air vs cold air intake. Patch the hole and i guarantee you will see same throttle without hole....agreed on throttle body, dont... get tuner

Ok, I'll enclose the box with the insulation-dense foam tape that is used to wrap my air ducts in my house, and see....btw, do you think that AEM dryflo filter is hurting performance or it doesn't make
a difference?

Last edited:

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually i try to stay out of these debates but I made a box with a lid and run a filter with twice the square inch as the stock and its a noticeable increase in power. i did make a piece of aluminum that blocks the radiator heat from getting in and directs air from my grill to my box. I also have a thermometer in my intake piping so i can monitor temps and believe it or not my stock air box with a AEM intake pipe runs about 15-25 deg higher then the one i made. The box i made runs about 5-10deg warmer then outside. I believe this to be because the fender still gets a lot of its air from the engine bay. if you think about it, all the open spots to the fender point to the motor and right behind the headlight. When GM engineered the intake, it wasn't for the most power or flow. it was also for noise reduction. also the placement and design of our intakes is also the happy medium between weather that has an average temp of 100+ deg and weather that has i temp of 0 deg and below.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For any of you with naturally-aspirated engines that think you need more airflow than what the stock airbox or throttle body affords, or that it will net you any HP gains, I'd like to point out that Whipple utilizes the stock airbox and TB along with a high flow air filter and clean-flowing tube between the box and TB for their supercharger applications. If it's good enough for 600 HP or more, I guarantee it flows more than enough for 300-350. I'd love to see the dyno proof @justinesky that you see any increase in power. There are also dyno results here on the forum showing that the best CAI's result in, at the most, 2 HP gains. That's not a "noticeable increase in power" in my book. Here's mine. BTW I also have headers and a cam and it still flows good enough.IMG_6410.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy