JBL vs Kicker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your stock speakers are not blown or worn, you may get the better sound you want by leaving the stock speakers in place and putting your $200 towards sound deadening. I know it's not as "fun" or "cool". But, it would help the sound of the speakers' as well as quiet some of the road noise, which would further make the speakers sound better, especially at lower volumes.

THis!!!!! Raamat makes a good product, and like dub said, if your stuff is in good working order, sound dampening will help more than driver upgrades. I made a 99 Silverado ext cab as nice on the inside (quiet and sound quality) as a $$$ car with all the dampening I did.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your stock speakers are not blown or worn, you may get the better sound you want by leaving the stock speakers in place and putting your $200 towards sound deadening. I know it's not as "fun" or "cool". But, it would help the sound of the speakers' as well as quiet some of the road noise, which would further make the speakers sound better, especially at lower volumes.

Interesting that you point this out, as I've been spending (wasting?) a lot of time lately studying sound-deadening, trying to figure out whether to go that route instead of or in addition to a speaker swap. My speakers are not blown, but the sound is pretty lame.

Funny thing is, I don't listen to much music in the truck. I normally listen to sports radio for the daily commuting thing, but I enjoy music for longer trips and/or when wife & girls are in the truck with me.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THis!!!!! Raamat makes a good product, and like dub said, if your stuff is in good working order, sound dampening will help more than driver upgrades. I made a 99 Silverado ext cab as nice on the inside (quiet and sound quality) as a $$$ car with all the dampening I did.

Looks like this is a good first step------and I'll spend a few bucks on interior door handles for front driver & passenger doors, so I can replace my peeling ones while I'm at it.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like this is a good first step------and I'll spend a few bucks on interior door handles for front driver & passenger doors, so I can replace my peeling ones while I'm at it.

Dampening will help your car be less noisy on the inside. My NBS truck was notorious for sounding like a pop can in the car wash due to the roof being so thin and crappy reinforced. I put a bunch on the roof and it was never loud again. You don't have to cover every surface. It also helps keep the temp you want inside the vehicle

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you point this out, as I've been spending (wasting?) a lot of time lately studying sound-deadening, trying to figure out whether to go that route instead of or in addition to a speaker swap. My speakers are not blown, but the sound is pretty lame.

Funny thing is, I don't listen to much music in the truck. I normally listen to sports radio for the daily commuting thing, but I enjoy music for longer trips and/or when wife & girls are in the truck with me.

If you could attenuate the outside noise, your ears could focus more on what's coming out of the speakers instead of having to "mentally filter it out". You're probably so used to it that you don't even notice it because it's just one of the sounds of driving in your mind. If you had the radio off, you'd appreciate the quieter cabin and it would be more calming on longer trips. It would give your Tahoe a more luxury car feel. Then, if you decide one day you wanna upgrade the speakers, the sound deadening would make that investment even more pronounced. You wouldn't be trying to get better sound to cover up the road noise so you'd be able to appreciate their better sound that much more.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sold!

My Tahoe is pretty solid, but I believe that I can enhance the acoustics with proper sound deadening alone. I'll plan to install Dynamat now.....and MAYBE some speakers down the road. Just gotta order those interior door handles...... :rolleyes:

I keep getting carried away with the mods....gotta remind myself that I may be passing this ride down to my younger daughter within a year or so. :oops:

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Just one more thing from me. I paid around 100 for each pair of speakers in my truck and I wish I had spent more on a better quality set. Much like everything else for the most part. You get what you paid for and you will always regret not going with something bigger or better for a little more money.

a22e889d70002ca74dc3910e8d8ba9f3_no-ragrets-ya-knowm-sayin-quickmeme-some-ragrets-meme_333-221.jpeg

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like some of the others have suggested, I highly recommend the sound deadening first, then possibly look into just changing your factory amp. You could look to see if you have the Bose "Premium" or the "Luxury" model. There is another post on here where someone changed to the Luxury amp and it "woke up" his factory Bose speakers. Couple that with the sound deadening and you might have a nice cheap upgrade.

Joe

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the Dynamat thing for both front doors. Removed moisture barrier and installed sheets on inside lower area of outer door skin plus sheets on inside of inner (metal) door panel plus small strips around factory speaker plus a few strips on large sections of door card. Forgot about taking pics, but everybody's seen it plenty before.

Must say that I'm impressed. Listening to satellite radio is a joy, and it feels like I've got a new sound system and/or a slightly more solid-driving truck. Definitely worth the $53 I paid for the kit, and I used only barely half so I have enough to do rear doors easily.

Only minor issue now is that creaking door cards are more noticeable----driver and passenger door cards want to creak at what seems like a seam near the rear edges of doors. Will take the cards off and see if Dynamat on those areas will help.

Looking forward to installing Dynamat to the rear doors and fixing the fronts....maybe tomorrow if I have a few hours free.

Did front and rear doors for about $50. Like adding an amp.

:)