I've got the dreaded vibration/boom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Denali has about 21000 miles on it and it's been great up until today. I started out like n the road today and when I got up to 60 I could feel and hear a rhythmic booming sound. Rhythmic in that it was on for a second and then off for a second. That continued for a while. At first I thought it was the road. I changed roads and speeds. It kept coming back. It seemed to stop once I dropped below about 45 mph. It sounds like a kid next to you with his bass booming. I dread dealing with this.

OP
OP
DennisT

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After further driving today the vibration/shudder was at speeds as low as 40 mph and the shudder frequency seemed to vary with speed. I think I felt the transmission slip a couple of time on the 2/3 and 3/4 shifts. Could it be a torque converter or tranny issue? I've got an appointment to take it to the dealer on Thursday.

Last edited:

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After further driving today the vibration/shudder was at speeds as low as 40 mph and the shudder frequency seemed to vary with speed. I think I felt the transmission slip a couple of time on the 2/3 and 3/4 shifts. Could it be a torque converter or tranny issue? I've got an appointment to take it to the dealer on Thursday.

Have your dealer check the ring and pinion for excessive wear and a rounding of the teeth. Road force balance the tires, and check the roof cross members! After my dealer replaced the ring and pinion, all the pressure went away!

rjhoskins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '15 Denali XL is at the dealership right now.....new torque converter getting installed. Have had a progressive problem just like you described for the past couple thousand miles. Took it in yesterday and sure enough it's the tq converter. Currently 23k miles. Good luck.

OP
OP
DennisT

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '15 Denali XL is at the dealership right now.....new torque converter getting installed. Have had a progressive problem just like you described for the past couple thousand miles. Took it in yesterday and sure enough it's the tq converter. Currently 23k miles. Good luck.

When your problem started was it intermittent? Did your problem get progressively worse? I was scheduled to take mine into the dealer today but I cancelled the appt because the problem has presented itself the past two days. I hate taking it in and then they can't find the problem.

rjhoskins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When your problem started was it intermittent? Did your problem get progressively worse? I was scheduled to take mine into the dealer today but I cancelled the appt because the problem has presented itself the past two days. I hate taking it in and then they can't find the problem.
Yes, my problem started off as a 'now and again' problem that got progressively worse over the past 5k miles. It was so progressive that I wasn't sure if it was getting worse or if it was my imagination. Then my brother borrowed my Yukon to move some furniture (shocker), and returned it with the quote, "What the hell is wrong with your truck."
Then, over July 4th my family all hopped in for a trip to the mountains--my 16 year old daughter in the back seat stated, "Why does it keep vibrating like that", then my wife replied, "I was wondering the same thing!" So, off to the shop yesterday....currently driving a loaner Canyon which isn't too bad I guess. :)

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, my problem started off as a 'now and again' problem that got progressively worse over the past 5k miles. It was so progressive that I wasn't sure if it was getting worse or if it was my imagination. Then my brother borrowed my Yukon to move some furniture (shocker), and returned it with the quote, "What the hell is wrong with your truck."
Then, over July 4th my family all hopped in for a trip to the mountains--my 16 year old daughter in the back seat stated, "Why does it keep vibrating like that", then my wife replied, "I was wondering the same thing!" So, off to the shop yesterday....currently driving a loaner Canyon which isn't too bad I guess. :)

Have your dealer check the ring and pinion for excessive wear and a rounding of the teeth. Road force balance the tires, and check the roof cross members! After my dealer replaced the ring and pinion, all the pressure went away!

Zeus2015

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Did replacing the torque converter fix the issue? I get my '15 Denali back after the fix tomorrow.

rjhoskins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, my Yukon runs like day one again. Thanks and good luck to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MURDD0CK