It's over the cars ruined.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylers_Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well to put short our 5.7L engine has seen lots of abuse from many things. But this is a new low from Chevy. My wife told me yesterday that on her way back home the "Engine Oil Low Warning" appeared and then disappeared. So she continued to drive. So I was going to take the car my local mechanic (brother) to change my oil just in case we were already over 5k miles interval. And when my wife pulled in she said the car was fine all the way home. I started the didn't hear anything from the inside ofthe car. UNTIL I started to slow down and when I did it was horrible it sounded like the entire engine was about to fall out from under the car. It was clanking and smoking like there is no tomorrow (to remind you I never got a Oil Pressure Low Please STOP engine" so I immediately pulled over and checked the oil Via dipstick and there was nothing my wife drove 15-20 Miles home with no oil. And then I drove it about another 5 Miles before I pulled over. Figured the engine was ruined and continued on my way to my brothers shop. Which was literally around the corner. My brother told me to go ahead and start shopping for a new car because this one is done. And that's what we're currently doing. Also wanted to hear your opinion on wether or not you think the car is ruined?

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a 5.7 or 5.3? Any trace of a leak? Where did 6 liters of oil go? From your sound description, yes it sounds like the motor is done. However, used 5.3's can be found and transplanted for a lot less than a new vehicle. Cover all your options prior to committing to a new truck. Good luck

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That warning light should of and probably has been coming on for some time.

Last edited:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a shame that happened but there must be more to it.

Last edited:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That warning light should of and probably has been coming on for some time. Mine will come on at just a quart or so low. As for checking the Dipstick, I only run five quarts and its near the bottom of the stick so with four quarts or less it will NOT show up at all on the Dipstick.. You had some type of mechanical parts failure due to the abuse you talked about in your write up. I have 275,000 + miles on a '00 which I'm sure is much more than you have.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Junk box

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

gibbygsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I got out of GM...
'13 Tahoe would burn over 2qts between oil changes before the AFM delete brought it down to a 1/2 qt. We bought it new and it had 23K on it when we got rid of it two weeks ago. My 04 Tahoe burned antifreeze with only 50K on it and my Trailblazer and my wifes equinox would just randomly not start in the morning whenever it felt like it.

Dealers give the "up to 2 qts of oil is normal" Uhhhh no it's not... Just because the chef makes a shit sandwich and sais it's supposed to taste like a turd doesn't make it not taste like a turd!

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't think so. Had a 99 Silvy 5.3 with over 176k on it when I sold it. No problems outside of the ABS actuator going at ~50k and the fuel gauge sender at ~120k. My 07 Yukon 5.3 has 143k on it now and the only thing that I would call a problem is when the front sway bar links have broken.

I hear about these issues on the web but never from anyone I know that's owned GM trucks. There's more to this story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu