Is there a dash replacement DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmhscorpio

Reaction score
If my dash did that, and GM failed to salute, i might think about reaching for a glock 32.
But I may just be a bitter old man ...

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the kit you speak of. But, whether it be that or any sort of adhesive/epoxy, I'd epoxy in some reinforcements like they did in that video.
Just look up plastic repair kit on HF. It comes with some steel mesh and plastic sticks. Throw in some epoxy and it looks like it might work.

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong but I think I remember someone on the site who covered his dash in leather.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didnt i read 13&14's are made of a diff material as are new replacements?.... or did i make that up because i have a 13?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought they changed then too, but when I asked, I got a few people that responded with 13s but not 14s

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just look up plastic repair kit on HF. It comes with some steel mesh and plastic sticks. Throw in some epoxy and it looks like it might work.

I saw what you're talking about. I don't see how it wouldn't work if you were skilled with using it so as to not burn through to the outer surface, etc.

I might be wrong but I think I remember someone on the site who covered his dash in leather.

I've Googled this a few times as this is my idea, but I never found anything. I want to reinforce and epoxy mine which would fix the cracks and keep them from reoccurring, but some hairline cracks would still be visible. So I plan to wrap it in matching leather-grained soft-backed vinyl so everything is covered and the dash would have a more upscale feel. Might wrap the plastic on the door panels and rest of the trim as well. Would be an opportune time to add sound deadening insulation, run sound system wiring, clean the carpet, dye the headliner and pillar trim...

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw what you're talking about. I don't see how it wouldn't work if you were skilled with using it so as to not burn through to the outer surface, etc.

I've Googled this a few times as this is my idea, but I never found anything. I want to reinforce and epoxy mine which would fix the cracks and keep them from reoccurring, but some hairline cracks would still be visible. So I plan to wrap it in matching leather-grained soft-backed vinyl so everything is covered and the dash would have a more upscale feel. Might wrap the plastic on the door panels and rest of the trim as well. Would be an opportune time to add sound deadening insulation, run sound system wiring, clean the carpet, dye the headliner and pillar trim...
Reading my mind bro, probably do the dash and door panels for 1/5th of the cost for a new dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094