Is there a dash replacement DIY?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by YukonCrazy, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Kenny D

Kenny D Full Access Member

Name:
    Ken
    I already have plans to cover the entire underside with fiberglass cloth and resin. Just paying attention to the mounting points. I figure if I am going to pay for new one, I want it as strong as possible. I fear if I just reinforce the areas prone to cracking, they will just crack elsewhere to relieve stress. I also researched upolstery materials and thought of just fixing mine and faux leather wrapping it and the door panels to match.

2. Kenny D

Name:
    Ken
    I have the same color. It is considered Dark Cashmere/LT Cashmere two tone. You might ask if they can verify the color.

3. kbuskill

kbuskill Full Access Member

Name:
    Ken
    I was thinking it was a cheaper option and if you are going to reinforce the bottom of a new dash anyway then you may as well cover it and reinforce the old one.

It's more labor intensive but would save a lot of money on buying a new one from the stealer.

4. Kenny D

Name:
    Ken
    Found several places online that offer the faux leather for about $13-$15 a yard. It comes 54"wide. Probably wouldn't need but about 2 yards to do the entire dash and door panel tops to match. Way cheaper than a new dash. Just got to learn how to properly cut and wrap an interior.

calif phil likes this.
  5. Kenny D

Name:
    Ken
    Any interior guys around here????? Would contact cement work as an adhesive and last.

6. n5yzv

n5yzv TYF Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    I have a 2007 Tahoe LT. I have the crack on the driver side and by the airbag. Rattles like hell. For the time being, I put a carpet kit over it. Still rattles, but at least I don't have to look at it.
    I was at my Brother's shop doing a 1.5" rear lift on it and checking some ABS/Stabilitrac lights. He noted he "liked" my carpet job. Needless to say, he was being sarcastic. Then he showed me a "cap" that he put on his Daughters, Wife and Friends Tahoe (yeah, 3).
    It looked dam good and color matched.
    I've heard of the caps before, but I didn't like the sound of a "cap". But, seeing made me a believer. He noted his cost is about $200-250 and needs to be installed. Dunno if he paints it to mach or it comes the right color. I plan to have him do this, but first I'm swapping the seats and carpet first. In the mean time, I'll see if I can get the name of the cap.

7. scstan4d

scstan4d TYF Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    One of my friends has an 07 Yukon. He put a dashboard cover on his dashboard. It actually didn't look bad at all. I don't have a picture of it installed. You almost can't tell that its not the actual dashboard. dash2.JPG dash1.JPG

8. Kenny D

Name:
    Ken
    I am tempted to email this dash cover company and ask if they can manufacture a cover made from superior materials to "cover up" a problem, why don't they make a replacement dash unit out of the same materials. I'd rather pay $400 for that than a $300 replacement from GM.

iamdub likes this.
  9. NGAneer

NGAneer Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Anybody crazy enough to pull their dash and fix the problem with the $16 plastic repair kit from HF...? I might be.

10. iamdub

iamdub Too cold, too cold

Name:
    Chris
    I haven't seen the kit you speak of. But, whether it be that or any sort of adhesive/epoxy, I'd epoxy in some reinforcements like they did in that video.