Is my factory amp going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdl_131

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, new guy here...hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've owned mt 2004 Tahoe Z71 for about 2-1/2 years now and occasionally when I start the truck the speakers make a clicking/popping noise and no sound comes out. The radio works perfectly fine...just no sound. The rear headphone jacks do work when this is happening but the speakers don't. The clicking/popping sound continues the entire time the truck is running and doesn't stop until I exit the vehicle (doesn't stop with engine off but stops with aux power).This isn't a constant problem, and I can't figure out anything that triggers it. Has anybody run into this problem? It is a factory Bose system. I have taken out part of the center console to make sure the wiring harness wasn't coming undone...it appeared to be fine.

Tahoebigdog03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with mines.......my front speakers go in and out.....sucks

Sub

OP
OP
J

jdl_131

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For me it is all of my speakers, if it is just the front speakers then I would be suspicious of wiring. Maybe a connector behind the deck has come loose or something....

Is there a particular ground circuit I should check?

LOWHOE775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay is everyone here running stock Bose system still. Meaning you haven't replaced the head unit for aftermarket. Because I replaced my stock head unit and ran it with stock Bose amp and speakers and I had the same problem. Then I replaced all speakers with audiobahn mids/highs, with an alpine 4channel amp and no more problem. If you are completely stock I would try replacing one of the speakers to see if it's blown. If problem still occurs then it will be that factory amp it's junk. That would be what I think

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they said it was an internal amp failure. They wanted $1200 to replace it (premium amp). I did the replacement myself and took the opportunity to repin the harness and install the Lux amp.

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you using the regular head unit then? (The non NAV unit from say a Hoe or Kon with the stardard Bose system in it.) I wouldn't mind adding the LUX amp to my Hoe...

Angela

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar problem my radio works but none of the speakers or headphone jacks....every once in a blue moon it'll come on for a few min and then cut out completely...how do you check if the car audio amplifier is bad?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, new guy here...hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've owned mt 2004 Tahoe Z71 for about 2-1/2 years now and occasionally when I start the truck the speakers make a clicking/popping noise and no sound comes out. The radio works perfectly fine...just no sound. The rear headphone jacks do work when this is happening but the speakers don't. The clicking/popping sound continues the entire time the truck is running and doesn't stop until I exit the vehicle (doesn't stop with engine off but stops with aux power).This isn't a constant problem, and I can't figure out anything that triggers it. Has anybody run into this problem? It is a factory Bose system. I have taken out part of the center console to make sure the wiring harness wasn't coming undone...it appeared to be fine.

I also have a 2004 z and yes it is the amp going out. I had the same problem especially first thing on cold mornings for about 10-15 minutes the the music would kick on. I replaced my amp and haven't had a problem since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter