Is my air ride bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Brambilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. I just picked up a used 07 Denali and I've never heard the compressor kick on even with a heavy trailer attached. I pulled air hose out of one of the rear shocks expecting some air to come out but I heard nothing. If the air ride wasn't working, shouldn't I be seeing some sort of message on the dash?

I tried to manually pump some air into one of the shocks using my own compressor but it didn't lift at all so I suspect it is blown.

Is it possible the previous owner disabled something? I'd like to get the air ride working again to help level the truck when my travel trailer is attached but I'm not exactly sure where to start.

Thanks

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Check fuse #58 in underhood fuse block, it is for your air ride compressor. That is where I would start and work my way back.

OP
OP
P

Paul Brambilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check fuse #58 in underhood fuse block, it is for your air ride compressor. That is where I would start and work my way back.
Could it be something other than fuse 58? I couldn't seem to find that fuse in my panel.

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

kbuskill

Reaction score
Check the bottom of your underhood fuse panel cover and it should be marked showing what fuses go to what. You are looking for one that says "ALC/COMP" (auto level control/ compressor).

OP
OP
P

Paul Brambilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the bottom of your underhood fuse panel cover and it should be marked showing what fuses go to what. You are looking for one that says "ALC/COMP" (auto level control/ compressor).
Ok, found the fuse. It seems fine so I suspect both my shocks and compressor need replacing. Are the Arnott shocks good enough or do I need Acdelco? Are there any options that might actually improve my payload capacity?

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should also check the fuse labeled RTD. Real time dampening. If that fuse isn't there than your compressor will not kick in. If shocks were blown the compressor will kick in a lot trying to fill them up and then burn itself out. If your rtd fuse isn't there, it may have been an attempt to save the compressor. More than likely its burned Out because of blown shocks. But check for that fuse first. If it's there than you probably need shocks. I replaced mine last summer, this week last year actually, and my passenger side shock is blown out because of the bs repaving my stupid city did, and left major potholes. Damn holes in the street took out my shock. The previous set were generic brands. I'm going with the arnott premium replacements this time around. It won't maintain your electronic dampening function from the trucks system. But it will maintain your auto level function. From all the research I've done, arnott is the way to go when replacing air shocks.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I just replaced mine with the Arnott remanufactured shocks which DO maintain the electronic dampening just as the factory intended. I am well pleased with the outcome.

jpsTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where is the RTD fuse? I can't seem to find it. I replaced my rear shocks with OEM parts. compressor kicks on and loads the shock and levels the truck just fine. but the ride quality still sucks. I am guessing my front ones need new shocks too. any advise why the truck still rides like crap after rear shock replacement. I replaced them because i had the service suspension light come on and it said the left rear was bad so i replaced both left and rear. Light never came back on afterwards. I think i have the Z55 suspension.

upload_2017-7-7_11-52-49.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC