Is it not possible to replace gauge stepper motors in an 02?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score
I can also send you the picks of my gauges at normal op temps so you can have an idea where to start.
I would appreciate that
Guess I'll just keep the lens off and adjust as close as I can

OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score
@ScottyBoy does these for members. He can rebuild the whole cluster, along with doing the leds too. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Yes, I actually PM'd him and replied to a thread he had about a fan harness for my truck last week. He hasn't been on in a week but hopefully he will see this thread once he does come on.

-Justin

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what he told me about our clusters I posted it earlier in this thread

The motors in the 00-02 clusters don't have a stop position like the 03+ clusters do.
The 00-02 needles can spin freely in a complete circle if you remove that little pin that stops the needle at the end of the gauge sweep.
The ONLY thing I have seen about changing the 00-02 needles, was to get your truck up to operating temperature, and have a full tank of gas. Then take a few pictures of the gauge cluster to show where all the needles rest when the truck is idling at operating temperature on a full tank of fuel. When you go to put the needles back on, you will have to do it in the truck with the lense bezel off. Plug in the cluster with the truck idling and re-install the needles to the same place as showed in the photo that you took.
Also, if you are not changing the gauge overlay then you can put a piece of tape neat the tip of each needle, and mark where the needles rest when the truck is idling with the engine up to temperature.

Z28TWITCH

Reaction score
2000-2002 doesn't use "stepper motors" they use "air core" motors. You need to make sure you replace the motor according to the letter on the factory one. They are available on ebay, I personally hit up the junk yards every few weeks and grab all of em that I can.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ScottyBoy does these for members. He can rebuild the whole cluster, along with doing the leds too. Hopefully he'll chime in.

I know that I am late to the party, but to get clear, I can only replace the stepper motors and backlights on the 03-06 clusters. The 00-02 clusters very rarely have problens, and when they do, most people just replace the cluster with a used working cluster. And to the OP, I have a spare cluster boxed up somewhere if you get the the point where you decide to give up on your cluster and replace it. I'm not sure of the mileage, but i "think" it's around 140k on it. I would have to go dig it out and plug it into my truck to verify the mileage.

OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score
I know that I am late to the party, but to get clear, I can only replace the stepper motors and backlights on the 03-06 clusters. The 00-02 clusters very rarely have problens, and when they do, most people just replace the cluster with a used working cluster. And to the OP, I have a spare cluster boxed up somewhere if you get the the point where you decide to give up on your cluster and replace it. I'm not sure of the mileage, but i "think" it's around 140k on it. I would have to go dig it out and plug it into my truck to verify the mileage.

Thanks for the input Scotty. For now, I'm just going to ignore it and throw the cluster back in and hope I can get it aligned good enough.

Since I'm about to put a new transmission in, if I did need a new one I'd rather find a 2500 cluster with a trans gauge in it. As far as I can tell from forums, all I'd need is to reprogram it for my milage (which some ebay sellers will do for you) and it's plug and okay correct?

-Justin

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Scotty. For now, I'm just going to ignore it and throw the cluster back in and hope I can get it aligned good enough.

Since I'm about to put a new transmission in, if I did need a new one I'd rather find a 2500 cluster with a trans gauge in it. As far as I can tell from forums, all I'd need is to reprogram it for my milage (which some ebay sellers will do for you) and it's plug and okay correct?

-Justin
Yes, it is plug and play. You would need a 2500 cluster from a 00-02 3/4 ton Silver, Sierra, or a 3/4 ton Suburban/Yukon XL. But you can't just assume that it has a trans temp gauge if it's a 3/4 ton, because it was an option. I have seen plenty of 3/4 ton trucks without a transmission temperature gauge. Another option is to find a 01-02 Denali cluster, or a 2002 Escalade cluster. Those will of course be more expensive than a 2500 cluster, but they also have a 120mph speedo instead of a 100mph speedo.

OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score
Yes, it is plug and play. You would need a 2500 cluster from a 00-02 3/4 ton Silver, Sierra, or a 3/4 ton Suburban/Yukon XL. But you can't just assume that it has a trans temp gauge if it's a 3/4 ton, because it was an option. I have seen plenty of 3/4 ton trucks without a transmission temperature gauge. Another option is to find a 01-02 Denali cluster, or a 2002 Escalade cluster. Those will of course be more expensive than a 2500 cluster, but they also have a 120mph speedo instead of a 100mph speedo.

Awesome. I was about to go back and ask about 'nali clusters but you beat me to the punch.

Thanks everyone in the thread for the great info!

-Justin

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Thanks, I definitely appreciate this. Unfortunately, I already pulled the whole cluster apart without marking where the needles were. Am I screwed? Lol

-Justin
Run to your local auto parts store and nab their scan tool. Should be able to see the various values on there and tweak the needle position accordingly. For the speedometer, use a GPS app on your mobile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins