Is it not possible to replace gauge stepper motors in an 02?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xjsc16x

Reaction score
As the title states. Everything I can possibly find for this just gives me 03+ results.

The oil pressure gauge in my 02 sticks a bit and seems to move in steps instead of smooth sweeping.

Is a brand new unit my only option? Is an 03 cluster able to be swapped in?

Thanks,
Justin

OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score

The only service listed for an 02 is to fix the odometer display. Not stepper motors. While I do need mine fixed, I can repair it myself and was hoping to replace the stepper motors at the same time.

Which leads back to my original question, is it possible to buy new stepper motors...

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
The only service listed for an 02 is to fix the odometer display. Not stepper motors. While I do need mine fixed, I can repair it myself and was hoping to replace the stepper motors at the same time.

Which leads back to my original question, is it possible to buy new stepper motors...
You can email them and ask, they do all kinds of stuff, plus can upgrade to LEDs, but if you want to do it yourself I think you can get the stepper motors off eBay.

OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score
Reviving this thread from the dead. Currently have the cluster out to resolder the odometer. Still have not found any useful information as to whether it's even possible for me to replace the stepper motors or not, nevermind where to find them.

-Justin

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay is probably your best bet (posted link below to part), and from the videos i saw it looks like the motor just simply comes out with a twist and turn like the bulbs. I bought a used cluster for the trans temp and noticed my oil moter sticks to and was gonna swap it out with my current cluster.

How to Video

Ebay Part

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-95-02-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-AIR-CORE-STEPPER-MOTOR-FOR-GM-TRUCK-SUV-CLUSTERS/271897764038?fits=Year:2002|Model:Tahoe&hash=item3f4e5ea0c6:g:sTQAAOSwpdpVeHYb&vxp=mtr

Also when time comes to replacing motors this is some helpful info from ScottyBoy

The motors in the 00-02 clusters don't have a stop position like the 03+ clusters do.
The 00-02 needles can spin freely in a complete circle if you remove that little pin that stops the needle at the end of the gauge sweep.
The ONLY thing I have seen about changing the 00-02 needles, was to get your truck up to operating temperature, and have a full tank of gas. Then take a few pictures of the gauge cluster to show where all the needles rest when the truck is idling at operating temperature on a full tank of fuel. When you go to put the needles back on, you will have to do it in the truck with the lense bezel off. Plug in the cluster with the truck idling and re-install the needles to the same place as showed in the photo that you took.
Also, if you are not changing the gauge overlay then you can put a piece of tape neat the tip of each needle, and mark where the needles rest when the truck is idling with the engine up to temperature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score
Ebay is probably your best bet (posted link below to part), and from the videos i saw it looks like the motor just simply comes out with a twist and turn like the bulbs. I bought a used cluster for the trans temp and noticed my oil moter sticks to and was gonna swap it out with my current cluster.

How to Video

Ebay Part

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-95-02-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-AIR-CORE-STEPPER-MOTOR-FOR-GM-TRUCK-SUV-CLUSTERS/271897764038?fits=Year:2002|Model:Tahoe&hash=item3f4e5ea0c6:g:sTQAAOSwpdpVeHYb&vxp=mtr

Also when time comes to replacing motors this is some helpful info from ScottyBoy

The motors in the 00-02 clusters don't have a stop position like the 03+ clusters do.
The 00-02 needles can spin freely in a complete circle if you remove that little pin that stops the needle at the end of the gauge sweep.
The ONLY thing I have seen about changing the 00-02 needles, was to get your truck up to operating temperature, and have a full tank of gas. Then take a few pictures of the gauge cluster to show where all the needles rest when the truck is idling at operating temperature on a full tank of fuel. When you go to put the needles back on, you will have to do it in the truck with the lense bezel off. Plug in the cluster with the truck idling and re-install the needles to the same place as showed in the photo that you took.
Also, if you are not changing the gauge overlay then you can put a piece of tape neat the tip of each needle, and mark where the needles rest when the truck is idling with the engine up to temperature.

Thanks, I definitely appreciate this. Unfortunately, I already pulled the whole cluster apart without marking where the needles were. Am I screwed? Lol

-Justin

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worse case, after it’s repaired you can plug it back in without the lens attached. Then warm up the car and then index the needles. You’ll need to fill up the tank to set the fuel gauge. For the speedo, you can use a GPS or app like Waze that shows your speed and set it that way. It’s kind of a crude way to do it, but it should get you pretty close.