Is it just me, or does the rear wiper kind of suck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have preferred a barn door truck just for the looks, but have overall been happy with my rear lift gate. I have to admit that when loading or unloading in the rain or snow it's nice to have a shelter.

I had thought that one advantage of the rear liftgate would be the rear wiper. But then I have come to find that my rear wiper pretty much sucks. It seems like the convex curve of the rear glass means that the only part of the wiper blade that touches the glass is a small strip about 2" wide. And this is with a brand new rear blade, too.

Is that everyone's experience? Or do I maybe have a bent wiper arm?

I like having a rear wiper but on the suburban I pretty much don't have one that functions.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only used mine once and that was to keep a closer eye on the stuff i was hauling on my trailer but it worked perfectly. I almost wish my tailgate would get damaged so i have a reason to get that ugly wiper arm removed.

william03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wiper motor on my Denali has never worked, and on my truck the bed cap didn't have one anyways so it never really bothered me.

But I like being able to close the main lift gate and pop the window to really cram the back full on trips, on my parents old Suburban with barn doors it wasn't as easy in my opinion.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine works fine...but I never use it.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its interesting as you guys who have them dont want or never use them. I have barn doors, which i prefer. But it would be nice to have a functional rear wiper when its snow season. Key word being functional.

william03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've found it doesn't collect snow all that often while driving, and if it dumps on it while it's sitting I usually have to manually remove it first anyways, the defrosting element usually takes care of the rest.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine works great, i had to put a new arm on it because the spring got weak. I'd recommend a delco wiper, the way it is shaped ensures it wipes good/as designed, fits in the cradle properly, and doesnt do the 2" strip thing. I got mine on rockauto.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its interesting as you guys who have them dont want or never use them. I have barn doors, which i prefer. But it would be nice to have a functional rear wiper when its snow season. Key word being functional.

I use mine in the winter quite a bit, but in the summer, rain-x helps a lot.
Just not on road dust, apparently.