INTERMITTENT BATTERY NOT CHARGING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Chevy Tahoe 2WD LT 5.3L L59 Flex fuel.

This is for anyone who is having a intermittent battery not charging display with the battery light on and off. I had this same problem. Battery light goes on and off at random. I first took it to Autozone and had the alternator tested and it tested good. After cleaning the battery cables, removing and cleaning the alternator pigtail and then replacing it I still had the same problem. So I traced the wires through the harness back to the fuse box with no bad wires. I checked the negative cable connected to the engine block and positive cable going to the starter and all was good. I was really getting annoyed, so after speaking with a fellow mechanic I was told that the alternator has a voltage regulator that is known to intermittently go out and will test fine at most auto part stores. Usually these testers only test the amps and voltage. They do not check the regulator and if it's working at the time the test is done it's going to give a false positive. So I removed the alternator and took it to Autozone and replaced it and sure enough that was the problem. The battery light has not come back on and all is good. So if you're having this problem and you have checked for loose cables and all is good I'll bet it's the voltage regulator that is built into the alternator. Thanks and I hope that this helps someone in the future having this problem.

T900RR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you I am having that very problem. will check rock auto and replace my Alternator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224