Intermittant noise in stock stereo system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Hello all... long time lurker and forum member... I have a 2004 Yukon SLT with a completely stock Bose system in it. It is the wife's driver. There is an intermittent issue with the stereo that I need to figure out. Every once in a while, you can hear background noise similar to that of alternator feedback when the stereo is on. This does not happen all of the time, and only happens when the radio is on, never when it is off. I remember searching about it a while ago and reading something about a module or something located in the center console that could be the culprit. I was wondering if anyone may have had this issue and what the fix was. Again, this is a completely stock Bose system, nothing aftermarket added to it.

A little background on the truck... Bought it used back in 2008 from a GMC dealer. It was a repo from back in the economy collapse and $4 a gallon gas era. Got a great deal on it then... 56,000 mile loaded SLT for $16,200 and then with trade in and payment of tax, tags and doc fees, it was $12,500 financed out the door. Still runs great today and has only needed basic maintenance and HVAC actuators, and I just did some of the front suspension a few months ago. Very solid truck and even though the wife is due for an upgrade, I may just keep this Yukon and get her into a 2012+ Yukon when the time is right.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hello all... long time lurker and forum member... I have a 2004 Yukon SLT with a completely stock Bose system in it. It is the wife's driver. There is an intermittent issue with the stereo that I need to figure out. Every once in a while, you can hear background noise similar to that of alternator feedback when the stereo is on. This does not happen all of the time, and only happens when the radio is on, never when it is off. I remember searching about it a while ago and reading something about a module or something located in the center console that could be the culprit. I was wondering if anyone may have had this issue and what the fix was. Again, this is a completely stock Bose system, nothing aftermarket added to it.

A little background on the truck... Bought it used back in 2008 from a GMC dealer. It was a repo from back in the economy collapse and $4 a gallon gas era. Got a great deal on it then... 56,000 mile loaded SLT for $16,200 and then with trade in and payment of tax, tags and doc fees, it was $12,500 financed out the door. Still runs great today and has only needed basic maintenance and HVAC actuators, and I just did some of the front suspension a few months ago. Very solid truck and even though the wife is due for an upgrade, I may just keep this Yukon and get her into a 2012+ Yukon when the time is right.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I've read that a bad amp could cause your issue, the one that's under the console. Supposedly they're known to go bad.

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Do you know anything about some other module in the console that pertains to the stereo system? I am kicking myself for not addressing this sooner because I did research it and remember reading about it. I will look into the Bose amp and see.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Do you know anything about some other module in the console that pertains to the stereo system? I am kicking myself for not addressing this sooner because I did research it and remember reading about it. I will look into the Bose amp and see.
No, sorry. That's the only thing I remember reading.

05YukonXL

Reaction score
Misery loves company, they say. My 05 just starting doing this in the last couple weeks. Started out intermittent, now it's anytime the radio is on (or warning bell goes off with radio off). Here's what I recorded on my phone...
Now to find the solution!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium