Interior lights

Does the dimmer switch for override have anything to do with this

• Ground issue or relay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Relay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bboggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked a clean 98 Tahoe previous phone and didn't tell me none of the interior lights work, and power mirrors. None of the fuses are blown and there is no voltage to the dome lights or the power mirrors what could this be

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230705_221102_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705_221102_Facebook.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a ground? I know I had an issue similar on an old expedition and it was a ground issue. Also, check to make sure the dome light bulb is good. I don't think the two are related other than grounding.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dome override button next to the headlight switch? Interior lights won't work if that override is in use. Some folks leave that override button on to overcome a faulty door/dome light switch.

Also, there is a small triangular access molding at the front corner of the window opening inner side of each front door. Pop that off and that will give you access to the power mirror plug/connector. See if each is plugged in. Someone may have replaced the mirrors in the past and never plugged them in.

Also, the power mirror control switch may be culprit too. The truck may have had it's windows opened during the rain at some point and the switch shorted/corroded. Can easily remove that switch panel on the door and jump the wiring to see if in fact the switch is culprit.

Welcome to discovering someone else's journey with your newly acquired ride! And welcome to TYF from NY!

OP
OP
bboggs

bboggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe a ground? I know I had an issue similar on an old expedition and it was a ground issue. Also, check to make sure the dome light bulb is good. I don't think the two are related other than grounding.
Yes all the bulbs are good but the previous owner installed a stereo system and ran wires through the door trim maybe it's a ground
Dome override button next to the headlight switch? Interior lights won't work if that override is in use. Some folks leave that override button on to overcome a faulty door/dome light switch.

Also, there is a small triangular access molding at the front corner of the window opening inner side of each front door. Pop that off and that will give you access to the power mirror plug/connector. See if each is plugged in. Someone may have replaced the mirrors in the past and never plugged them in.

Also, the power mirror control switch may be culprit too. The truck may have had it's windows opened during the rain at some point and the switch shorted/corroded. Can easily remove that switch panel on the door and jump the wiring to see if in fact the switch is culprit.

Welcome to discovering someone else's journey with your newly acquired ride! And welcome to TYF from NY!
Thank you for the info I have pulled the motor out of the power mirrors and the wires look fine and tested my voltage meter there was no voltage..pulled the dome light cover off the roof and check for voltage and nothing with or without the override button press there is continuity between the map lights though when I hit the on and off switch

OP
OP
bboggs

bboggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes all the bulbs are good but the previous owner installed a stereo system and ran wires through the door trim maybe it's a ground

Thank you for the info I have pulled the motor out of the power mirrors and the wires look fine and tested my voltage meter there was no voltage..pulled the dome light cover off the roof and check for voltage and nothing with or without the override button press there is continuity between the map lights though when I hit the on and off switch
Pull the door panel off and check for voltage at the power windows and they all are fine except for the power mirror module

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM manuals can be downloaded here and have all of the electrical diagrams:

Interior lights and power mirrors are on the same circuit, they split at splice 242. Assuming you have power to fuse #3, maybe the previous owner tapped into a hot wire for radio memory and screwed it up.

IMG_6128.jpeg
IMG_6131.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg
IMG_6130.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n