Interior lights wont turn off, not even with dome lamp off switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95yukon_blk/blk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 95 gmc yukon 2 door, this just started today, my interior lights wont turn off, the lights that go on when you open and close the door, two in the headliner, two in the footwells, and two on the doors. The lights seem to dim a little bit when the "dome lamp off" switch is pressed but they still stay on, thought it could be the dimmer switch so I tried disconnecting the headlight switch module and nothing, they still stay on, the module seems to work fine, headlights turn on and off, gauge cluster dims normally. don't know what to do, disconnected battery to turn them off now. Thought it could be one of the door jamb switches, but the "dome lamp off" switch should turn them off if that was the problem, right? Don't know where to start looking to diagnose problem, any help appreciated. Thanks.

Dazrin

Reaction score
The dome lamp off switch will stop them from turning back on, but does not turn them off right away (at least in my 98). Press it and wait at least 30 seconds to tell if it is working. Maybe a little longer, it seems like forever in mine, but probably is only 30 seconds :)

This won't solve the problem, but might buy you some time. I would definitely check the door jamb switches individually too.

OP
OP

95yukon_blk/blk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Dazrin,

But when everything worked the lights would go off immediately when you pushed the dome lamp off switch.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Some where on one of your lights the white ground wire is probably shorting some where and because they eventually splice together they are all on. Look inside your kick panels and poke around in the headliner and under dash and wiggle your wires to see if it changes. Do this with defeat switch active so when it problem area pops up you will nowhere right away because the lights will shut off.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Also do you have the keyless entry system option from factory?

OP
OP

95yukon_blk/blk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the replies everyone, but the weirdest thing happened, I left the battery disconnected for half the day and when I reconnected it everything worked like it was supposed to. still don't know what the problem was, will try your suggestions if and when it happens again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl