Interesting buffeting story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The directions on the Q-Tip box clearly states "Stop pushing when you feel friction";)

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, but you shouldn't have to wear earplugs in a 70k vehicle. I know when I had my 2012 Impala If I put my rear windows down a little to give the dogs some air, there was a terrible wind noise that nobody could stand. When I was a kid riding around with my parents , we didn't have a/c and drove with the windows down all the time, no terrible wind noise just fresh air. It's got to be something that needs a wind tunnel to check it out completely.
This is physics we're talking about. The rules don't bend. I'd bet a dollar your parents understood the buffeting noise and adjusted your windows so that it didn't happen and you didn't notice they did that as a kid. Else, the geometry of your childhood car happened to avoid it.

Personally I have never ridden in any car where you could not create that buffeting situation by experimenting with different combinations of windows partially open.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, sorta like those noise machines that keep mosquitoes away. Young people can hear it but older folks can't.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, believe all vehicles produce buffeting. The advent of flush window mounting stopped a lot of it, but it is still there and is most noticeable at speeds over 60 mph for me. However, I have learned to tune it out. The only thing that has produced unacceptable buffeting is the addition of hood wind deflectors. I have not had one on my last few vehicles but on the 2003 Suburban we had, the reduction of the wind pressure on the front windshield caused the windshield to make so much noise as it moved around that I took the deflector off and sold it in a garage sale. It was horrible in earlier trucks that had the chrome strips around the windshield. Drove me nuts.

pvtser

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon XLE. With the front windows open a small bit you will get the buffeting. Open up the rear windows a crack and the pressure balances out. In my old Trailblazer EXT the rear wing windows OPENED UP and this pressure buffeting issue went away!!! If GMC/Chevy would only have the rear wing windows open up again there would be no issues. Its all about saving manufacturing costs.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon XLE. With the front windows open a small bit you will get the buffeting. Open up the rear windows a crack and the pressure balances out. In my old Trailblazer EXT the rear wing windows OPENED UP and this pressure buffeting issue went away!!! If GMC/Chevy would only have the rear wing windows open up again there would be no issues. Its all about saving manufacturing costs.
The buffeting issue people here are talking about occurs with all windows closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos