Instrument warning lights issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gunz_n_ammo_nut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2007 Tahoe from a local used inventory dealer. Everything checked out fine during the test drive. No warning lights were illuminated during the test drive. More recently, about 2 weeks ago my check engine light came on so I put my cheapo scanner on it but could not pull up any codes. Then like a day later my Traction Control warning light and Brake light came on along with a constant chiming. Also while this happens in the info screen it says “Traction Control turned off” along with “Stabilitrak turned off”.
I have looked on YouTube but have found nothing outlining my issue.
Has anyone experienced this same thing and if so is there a fix that doesn’t involve spending thousands of dollars at the dealership or shop? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.6BC13D0F-8021-4EB0-8E4D-163DCE478047.jpeg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The traction control and stabilitrac lights will illuminate and the driver information center will tell you they are off just about anytime you have an engine problem.

I installed new plugs and wires once and I guess didn't get one of the plug wires seated all the way.

After driving it for a day or so I got a check engine light along with the others mentioned.

Checked the codes... misfire on cylinder 1... checked the plug wires and it had slid back enough to not get the spark into the plug.

Seated plug wire, cleared code, no more lights.

The truck is working as designed. The manufacturer programmed the ECU to turn off TC and ST whenever it sees a problem with ignition. It does this to eliminate the variables since TC and ST have the ability to reduce the timing whenever they sense a wheel slipping and losing traction. So the ECU turns them off to see if it is potentially a problem in one of those systems and see if it corrects the misfire.

Alternately it could also be caused by a problem with the AFM lifters creating a misfire.... but that would be a lot more money and we don't wanna talk about that.

It could also be caused by other things.

You need to hook it up to a good scanner that can see the other modules in the truck.... like a Tech2.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you couldn't pull up any codes with your scanner even when the CEL was on, then you need to first figure out why not. Does your scanner power up when you connect it to the OBD2 port?

Also, is the truck running okay or is it missing, idling bad etc.? Does the cruise control work? Is AFM activated?

OP
OP
gunz_n_ammo_nut

gunz_n_ammo_nut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The traction control and stabilitrac lights will illuminate and the driver information center will tell you they are off just about anytime you have an engine problem.

I installed new plugs and wires once and I guess didn't get one of the plug wires seated all the way.

After driving it for a day or so I got a check engine light along with the others mentioned.

Checked the codes... misfire on cylinder 1... checked the plug wires and it had slid back enough to not get the spark into the plug.

Seated plug wire, cleared code, no more lights.

The truck is working as designed. The manufacturer programmed the ECU to turn off TC and ST whenever it sees a problem with ignition. It does this to eliminate the variables since TC and ST have the ability to reduce the timing whenever they sense a wheel slipping and losing traction. So the ECU turns them off to see if it is potentially a problem in one of those systems and see if it corrects the misfire.

Alternately it could also be caused by a problem with the AFM lifters creating a misfire.... but that would be a lot more money and we don't wanna talk about that.

It could also be caused by other things.

You need to hook it up to a good scanner that can see the other modules in the truck.... like a Tech2.
Thanks for the in-depth reply. Very helpful insight.

Lol yeah I have heard horror stories about the AFM system since I got it. Lol I don’t want to go there either.

So looks like this weeken I’m going to get that check engine light looked at to find out the code and start from there.

Again, I greatly appreciate the reply.

OP
OP
gunz_n_ammo_nut

gunz_n_ammo_nut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you couldn't pull up any codes with your scanner even when the CEL was on, then you need to first figure out why not. Does your scanner power up when you connect it to the OBD2 port?

Also, is the truck running okay or is it missing, idling bad etc.? Does the cruise control work? Is AFM activated?
Yeah the scanner will power up. When I go to the option to read vehicle engine codes it says, “Couldn’t Read Codes”. Not sure what the issue might be with it other than it being a little older of a OBD2 Scanner.

No missing. Idles just fine. Cruise works fine. And in the information system it shows that the AFM appears to be operating fine. While under acceleration it displays “V8 Mode” and when placed on Cruise Control it goes to “V4 Mode”.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check all your fuses, in particular check the one for accessory power, i.e. cigarette power plug/s, if the drivers side plug is not working it could be the fuse and that same fuse runs the communication to the obd port (at least it did on the nbs's), which could explain why it is not reading any codes.

OP
OP
gunz_n_ammo_nut

gunz_n_ammo_nut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
check all your fuses, in particular check the one for accessory power, i.e. cigarette power plug/s, if the drivers side plug is not working it could be the fuse and that same fuse runs the communication to the obd port (at least it did on the nbs's), which could explain why it is not reading any codes.
Ok. I’ll check that too. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts