Instrument Cluster lights are out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
all illumination wires for anything are gray an all converge into splice #217 which is located 5cm from headlamp/ dimmer switch before one grey wire goes to the illumination fuse.

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg I didn't see any wires that looked frayed...I also can add that the hvac controller doesn't operate when turned all the way on high...it just shuts off...this has been like this for a while...can a bad controller cause the dash lights malfunction? I added pics of the lights that do come on..

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
bad controller can not cause light in the hvac module and ip cluster illumination to fail. as far as the controller goes, when the blower switch is off it is supposed to send 12 volts to the controller to disable ALL functions except the temp door motor movement. is that the only thing that works when off or on high. or completely dead on both settings with no a/c or recirc control or anything?

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only thing that doesn't work is the blower motor when the control is turned to Hi. The recirc and a/c push buttons stay lit.

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think maybe you are right about it being a bad wire. Is there a way to test it properly? If the a/c controller and ip cluster is out could it be that the break is in front of the illumination wire splice, if the a/c controller and ip cluster share a common splice.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
when fan is on high what voltage do you see on the orange wire. on the a/c controller?when lights on or off what voltage is seen on the gray wire on same connector?

also before we continue send me a pic of your hvac control head. i need to clarify something.

4myfreedom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same issue here but I have a 1999 replaced with 194 LED bulbs put in now instrument panel lights but all else is fine. No blown bulbs or fuses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts