Instrument Cluster lights are out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thx comet, that's what I thought but wasn't sure...I'm still green with some of the technical words...when I pull the cluster should I hit it with some keyboard duster or compressed air to clean connection? Is there something specific I should be looking for?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
look for green or whit colored corrosion.you will see scratching on them from contact but should not see sever scaring or out right breakage.

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I got in my truck this evening the lights were working again..the dash bezel is removed because I planned on painting it. When I was leaving work the light started flickering and I hit a bump and my CD player came out a little because dash bezel is removed. I noticed when I pushed or pulled on CD player the lights on in dash would flicker..I hit the CD player one good time and the lights went out again...i took out the CD player but can't figure out what was causing it....

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pulled the ip cluster and it was clean.. I pulled the CD player and couldn't cause the light to flicker at all...I pulled the ac control unit too and still nothing...this is driving me insane..I messed with the wires to see if I could get it to do anything but no dice...almost seems like a loose ground the way it's acting...any more ideas! Maybe where the ip cluster grounds too?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
any chance the gauges or tach or speedo drop out at the same time as the lighting in it? if not. then it can't really be aground but a power feed to the lights or damage circuit trace on the cluster.

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No other power failure except ip cluster and hvac control light...although the warning check lights still come on ip cluster when going through startup, the light which indicates the brights on the I/p comes on, the gear shifter light comes on, and the lights on hvac control which indicate a/c button and recirculate button still light up..on the hvac control its the light which illuminates it that does not come on.

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, they can't be because they come on intermittently...they started coming back on when I removed the dash bezel....they would flicker a little then stay on or just not come on at all...I just don't know what is happening to make them come on and off again

OP
OP
M

mikesid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there a common illumination wire for both hvac and ip cluster? Maybe that's my gremlin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan