Installing lift keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubfreaks

Reaction score
Got a pair of ebay keys we tried installing today. We couldn't get them all the way up to slide the spacer in. We were thinking they are hexed wrong. Could this be because we were attempting this with the Truck on the lift? Should it be on the ground to release some tension on the bar? If anybody's had this issue what was your solution, or did I just get a set of ****** keys and should step up and spend more...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
You need a tool to pull they keys up high enough so that you can get the spacer and bolt in. It also helps if the truck is jacked up, not resting on its wheels. I'm assuming by the spacer you're talking about the bit that you thread the bolt through, right?

OP
OP
dubfreaks

dubfreaks

Reaction score
Yes. Key won't get anywhere close to where it needs to be for that bit. I've used the same tool on plenty of trucks I've lifted and never had this problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A picture would probably help a lot, not to be a smart ass
Agreed. I know it'd be a pain, but could you take out the lift key, and take a pic of it compard to your original key?

My keys are LIFT keys for a 98-02 Ford Expedition, they are indexed further than GM lift keys.
So much more, in fact, that the passenger side key bolt isn't adding any load at all, and I'm at 3" of lift. And I didn't have a problem with installing them with the correct tool.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bars are supposed to be preloaded with torque BEFORE you can even install the torsion bar support nut and bolt. So how y'all are installing torsion bars without any preload tool is beyond me. Y'all just David Blaine'd that shit I guess.

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I know it'd be a pain, but could you take out the lift key, and take a pic of it compard to your original key?

My keys are LIFT keys for a 98-02 Ford Expedition, they are indexed further than GM lift keys.
So much more, in fact, that the passenger side key bolt isn't adding any load at all, and I'm at 3" of lift. And I didn't have a problem with installing them with the correct tool.
you have ford keys, cranked 3 inches, and they arent even maxed out? o_O

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have ford keys, cranked 3 inches, and they arent even maxed out? o_O
No, I have Ford re-indexed keys, and they aren't cranked AT ALL on the passenger side, and I'm at 3" of lift. IF I were to crank them all the way up, to the point that the ball joints were about to pop apart, it'd be close to 4 1/2 - 5" of lift (the ball joints end up being the limiting factor, as I'd trimmed off the UCA bumpstops).
I know this because I "just had to try it" on my Suburban that was t-*****. While I was taking the rear springs and spacers and shocks off, I had the front end up on a jack, and thought "what the hell?". Doing so also brought the wheels inward over 1" from stock, narrowing the track width, and would obviously play havoc with alignment

This pic shows the amount that the Ford indexed key (top) is different than a stock Chevy key (bottom).
Stock keys vs Ford lift keys.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345