Installing Double Din Alpine Stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between all these Metra wiring harnesses? There's like 15 different ones for my year make/model specific. I'm thinking I may of gotten the wrong one (Metra IBR-WHGM3 for 98-08 GM Vehicles). I'm wondering if that plays into some of my issue.

It looks like there is an amp bypass one (70-2054) and wondering if that's a better option for me. Again I have Bose and OnStar. Also later on will be installing Alpine Type R 6.5" speakers in all 4 doors and RF amp for them.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone be able to help me out? I got the wiring harness PAC RP5-GM11 which Crutchfield said was correct. However last night when I wired it up I still had the same static/interference as before. It also drained my battery over night somehow and took out the dash lights and odometer reading display area. Once I unplugged the main harness it returned back to normal. I'm just really frustrated with it now as this should of been the fix but I just ended up with more problems.

Jackle1886

Reaction score
The static comes from having the signal double amplified. Once from the internal head unit and once from the stock bose amp. Either run rca out from the head unit to the wires to the amp. Or run new wiring from the head unit to the speakers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The static comes from having the signal double amplified. Once from the internal head unit and once from the stock bose amp. Either run rca out from the head unit to the wires to the amp. Or run new wiring from the head unit to the speakers.

I understand that. What I don't get is why some people can install just the wiring harness and head unit and not have any issues where some do.

Jackle1886

Reaction score
I understand that. What I don't get is why some people can install just the wiring harness and head unit and not have any issues where some do.
I have no idea. I went the rca to speaker wire route. Got rid of the static, but gained alternator whine. #fail

The plan now is to run wire to the door speakers.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the small issues fixed by eliminating the other routed switched accessory power red wire that I had with the wrong harness. Wired the switched accessory power red wire correctly in the new harness.

However I am still having the static/interference issue. Another thing I noticed was that the front right speaker and tweeter are much louder than the rest of the speakers. The fade/balance is set in the middle but the volume levels are different. The other speakers are very soft with the front right speaker and tweeter being fairly loud. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? I'm guessing this might have a role in the static/interference issue.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called PAC and they helped me identify I had the connection from the main harness to the blue box module incorrect. On the module I had it plugged into "Factory Amplified" when it should be plugged into "Non-Factory Amplified". That fixed the issue of the volume out the speakers.

Still have the static/interference which they suggested checking the ground. I'll check it out later and see.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called PAC and they helped me identify I had the connection from the main harness to the blue box module incorrect. On the module I had it plugged into "Factory Amplified" when it should be plugged into "Non-Factory Amplified". That fixed the issue of the volume out the speakers.

Still have the static/interference which they suggested checking the ground. I'll check it out later and see.

Did you ever resolve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever resolve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I still have the static noise when it's on. I've just turned up the volume more to drown it out but is annoying when need low volume.

I haven't done any more to try to solve it because when I get the time in the coming months I'll be installing new speakers all around powered by an amp so it will not be running off the Bose stuff. Hoping that will take care of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu